The Lake County Stormwater Management Commission (SMC) is looking for one intern this summer to complete a variety of planning and engineering related tasks to assist our planning and regulatory staff. The successful candidate will also be expected to assist staff in other miscellaneous office tasks as needed. For additional information on SMC, see our website at http://lakecountyil.gov/stormwater/
The successful candidate will spend the majority of time in the office; however, field assistance may be required from time to time. This position will allow the candidate to apply classroom experiences to real world applications and will expose the intern to many aspects of the countywide planning and regulatory functions at SMC.
Representative tasks may include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist SMC staff with updating the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDESII) and Best Management Practices (BMP) program information. This task may involve working with the SMC website liaison to update our web pages relating to this material.
- Assisting in the development of a Clean Water Act Section 319 grant proposal for watershed planning and project implementation.
- Microsoft Access data entry tasks. Involves entering stream and detention basin inventory field assessment data collected during the summer of 2013.
- SMC Geocache Program Maintenance.
- Assist staff with ongoing inspections of water quality best management practices.
- Download information from the FEMA website to update floodplain map revisions in the SMC database.
- Miscellaneous tasks as needed. These may include GIS mapping and analysis support, file scanning, office file reduction, answering phones and providing front desk customer support and any other tasks deemed necessary by staff.
Graduate of, or current student in, a 2 or 4 year program with an emphasis on planning, geography, environmental science, or related field. Applicants must be able to work inside and outside in variable conditions and be willing to engage in limited to moderately strenuous physical activity. Applicants must be able to proficiently use Microsoft Office software, especially Microsoft Access, Word, and Excel. Basic familiarity with Microsoft SharePoint and ArcGIS software suite is desired but not required. Applicants must have their own transportation for traveling to and from the office and field sites (if required). It is estimated that about 90% of time will be spent in the office and the other 10% in the field, so travel using a personal vehicle will be minimal but may be required at times. Class credit may be available for this internship; please check with your academic advisor.
Open to U.S. Citizens only. Interns will work approximately 40 hours per week for up to 15 weeks; the start date is somewhat flexible. Pay will be $12.50 per hour. Successful candidates will be subject to a pre-employment physical and drug screening. If you are interested in an internship at the Lake County Stormwater Management Commission and have any questions, please contact Jeff Laramy by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (847-377-7709). To apply for an internship, please submit a cover letter and resume highlighting related work or classroom experience to SMC. Resumes will be accepted until March 14th or until the position is filled. Submit cover letters and resumes by email to:
Jeff Laramy, GISP
Lake County Stormwater Management Commission
500 Winchester Road Suite 201
Libertyville, IL 60048