To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Current undergraduate or graduate student in good standing working toward a degree in Engineering, preferably Civil, Environmental, Mechanical, or similar program.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES PREFERRED
- Knowledge of Civil Engineering fundamentals, surveying, drafting, materials testing (concrete and soils), and general civil engineering design and construction practices.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and check the quality of own work
- Experience with AutoCAD is a plus
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Ability to use sound judgment
- Ability to manage time and workload effectively which includes planning, organizing, and prioritizing with attention to details.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record.
Vehicle, total Station and other survey/GPS equipment, computer, telephone, copier, and plotter.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and walk, and talk or hear. The employee is required to use hands to fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 80 pounds. Specific vision abilities required in this job include vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work is performed in a standard office setting and in the field. Some exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, noxious odors, gases, and all types of weather and temperature conditions; work and/or walk on various types of surfaces including slippery or uneven surfaces and rough terrain. Work environment is both formal and informal, team oriented, having variable tasks, pace, and pressure.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to age, race, color, religion, sex, disability, veteran's status, national origin, genetic information, or sexual orientation. Reasonable accommodations for persons with a known disabling condition will be considered in accordance with State and Federal Law.
All applications for currently posted positions will be submitted online at www.southbendin.gov/jobs or at the application kiosk located at the City of South Bend Office of Human Resources, 227 W. Jefferson Blvd., 12th Floor, South Bend, IN 46601.
Drug Screen Required