The Charlotte Department of Transportation is seeking a highly motivated transportation professional to lead the Department’s land development and right-of-way management activities. Charlotte is the second fastest growing large city in the U.S. and ranked in the Urban Land Institute’s Top Five Markets to Watch for real estate growth. This is an exciting time to help shape Charlotte’s future by working directly with the private sector to ensure the creation of complete streets, walkable communities and sustainable transportation strategies.
The Charlotte Department of Transportation (CDOT) is a highly collaborative organization that partners with other City and external agencies to deliver innovative, adaptive, and responsive solutions. CDOT is also a national leader in creating complete streets that balance the needs of motorists, pedestrians, bicyclists, transit users, and neighborhood residents.
The Development Services Manager oversees the work of approximately twenty (20) people in a wide variety of activities that include the evaluation of traffic impact studies, rezoning petitions, and various land development plans, and the permitting of activities in Charlotte’s public street rights-of-way, including festivals and parades, professional sports venues, utility construction, and temporary right-of-way uses ranging from sidewalk dining to food trucks.
The specific responsibilities of the Development Services Manager include:
- Direct and supervising all staff of Development Services Division.
- Provides leadership in the planning, direction, and management of work of staff responsible for various aspects of traffic and transportation engineering. Trains, motivates and evaluates staff performance.
- Provides leadership in resolving complex problems with developers, consultants, permit applicants, and City staff; maintains a work culture of de-escalating and resolving interpersonal conflicts.
- Works with the Land Development Manager to represent CDOT effectively in the rezoning process by ensuring high quality staff review and analysis and by addressing Council questions during City Council Rezoning meetings.
- Coordinates activities with other departments and outside agencies, including NCDOT, Engineering and Property Management, and the Planning Department. Maintains a culture of inclusivity and collaboration towards staff from other divisions and departments in the decision making process for projects and policy development.
- Provides high level communication within the City organization, including regular briefings to the Transportation Director, periodic briefings to the City Manager’s Office and preparation of Council-Manager memoranda.
- Provides leadership for the review and approval of traffic and transportation engineering plans and designs and for conferences with contractors and consultants and for the inspection of construction activities.
- Oversees the preparation of operating and budget requests; the review of expenditures, the preparation and direction of plans, specifications, studies, reports, and contracts. Executes approved budgets.
- Develops strategies to gain CDOT customer input on an on-going and immediate basis for issues that must be resolved quickly.
- Serves as a stakeholder in the development of the Unified Development Ordinance.
- Ensures that staff review and prepare for approval, reimbursement agreements between the City and NCDOT for public/private partnerships.
- Provides leadership involved in responding to claims against the City. Responds to interrogatories, provides depositions and affidavits, and testifies when subpoenaed.
- Serves as moderator or participant on various teams, ad hoc committees and council sponsored committees.
The successful candidate will be an experienced transportation professional with strong leadership, communications, and interpersonal skills. All applicants must apply online via
All Applicants must apply online at www.charlottenc.gov by 2/18/17. Job Listing Number #121333.