Department: Corporate Safety
In compliance with industry standards and state and federal regulations, including 49 CFR Parts 236 and 270, this position is responsible for the Safety Certification of software/computer based safety critical systems and processor-based technology, including PTC, used in Operations ensuring solutions meet all requirements while ensuring the safety of employees, customers, and the communities we serve. This position will also be responsible for researching and evaluating new technologies for use in LIRR operations, documenting recommendations for implementation.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Direct all phases of the safety certification process for software/computer based safety critical systems and processor-based technology for use in Operations including PTC.
- Represent Corporate Safety on the Bug Triage Group, Failure Review Board, Change Control Board, and RAM Review Board and Analysis as well as the Safety Certification Control Board communicating any safety requirements, provide verification of safety, derived safety requirements, safety issues log, and variances/FRACAS incidents (Failure Reporting, Analysis and Corrective Action System)for safety critical systems including PTC .
- Maintain safety logs cataloguing open safety issues collected from system and subsystem design and testing. Review open variances and open FRACAS reports. Ensure each issue is assigned for closure and sufficient evidence is collected to satisfy Safety Certification requirements. Review closure of all open issues and ensure all safety related variances or FRACAS incidents are traced to safety requirements for safety critical systems including PTC.
- Assure safety compliance, approve waivers, and traceability of safety requirements, hazards and safety verification/validation evidence for safety certifiable items. Ensure compliance with FRA mandated safety plans.
- This position will also be responsible for researching and evaluating new technologies for use in LIRR operations documenting recommendations for implementation.
- Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example.
- Perform other assignments as requested by Senior Management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Systems and Information Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Analysis, Software Systems Engineering. Demonstrated, directly related, equivalent experience and education may be considered in lieu of the degree; subject to approval.
- Minimum seven to ten years of experience in the management and implementation of software/computer-based safety critical systems including responsibility for safety certification.
- Demonstrated experience with and understanding of the Safety Integrity Levels (SIL) for software and the required activities for each level.
- In-depth knowledge of Safety Standards including Department of Defense, Military Standards, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), and CENELEC (European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization).
- In-Depth knowledge and experience using hazard identification and analysis techniques including but not limited to: Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Failure Mode, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECAs), and Operating and Support Hazard Analyses (O&SHAs) and formal proofs. This includes theorem proving and model checking of systems’ safety properties.
- In-depth knowledge of all phases of the system development lifecycle for processor-based safety critical systems.
- Experience generating and maintaining safety case reports and presenting safety case findings to key stakeholders.
- Experience developing and maintaining hazard logs.
- Must possess and display effective problem solving, decision-making, and judgment skills. Strong problem solving and analytical skills with ability to analyze situations and issues and recommend sound resolutions.
- Must be able to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and discretion.
- The incumbent must be able to understand and communicate technical issues to various audiences, anticipate and recommend audience responses, and put specific actions and policies into context with broad internal and external issues.
- The incumbent must be articulate, persuasive, and self-confident and possess a mature leadership style, which enables the incumbent to develop the organization, as well as manage conflict.
- Ability to plan, forecast, set objectives/goals to support corporate goals and determine course of action.
- Ability to motivate, develop and influence others in a positive and productive manner to meet department/corporate goals.
- Must possess strong human relations, communication, interpersonal, problem solving, decision-making, and judgment skills. Must demonstrate a high level of initiative, professional integrity and demeanor.
- Must have the ability to identify risks/problems, organize and convey pertinent information, and recommend viable solutions.
- Must have the ability to work effectively across and within multi-disciplinary teams.
- Must be a seasoned leader with proven progressively responsible experience in a related system safety environment with knowledge of the various safety management system programs.
- Ability to direct business functions associated with operations, including budgets, utility costs, resource and material allotment.
- Masters in Experience with Mission Concept Review (MCR), Systems Requirements Review (SRR), Mission Definition Review (MDR), System Design Review (SDR), Preliminary Design Review (PDR), Critical Design Review (CDR), Final Design Review (FDR) processes.
- Experience on a Safety Certification Board.
- Training in Formal Methods, Prover ilock Verification Tool Suite, or Software-Acquisition Maturity Model (SA-CMM).
- (SEI) Software Capability Maturity Model (S-CMM) certification. SEI Software Capability Evaluation (SCE) certification.
- Experience with software/computer-based safety critical systems in a Rail Transportation industry setting.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
We offer competitive salaries and an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Full Medical Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Care
- Life Insurance
- Comprehensive Sick Leave Benefits
- Deferred Compensation
- Vacation/Personal Leave Days
- Transportation Pass Privileges
- Tuition Assistance Reimbursement
- Pension Plan
- In-house training seminars
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to, a pre-screening assessment (i.e. physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A background investigation, medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
How to Apply
To apply, please visit our website at http://web.mta.info/mta/employment/ click on the Long Island Rail Road hyperlink agree to the Privacy and Policy and view job title Senior Manager-Safety Systems Analysis.
The MTA-Long Island Rail Road is an Equal Opportunity Employer.