Chemical - Process Engineering, Chemical - Quality, Chemical - Research and Development, Chemical Engineering
4 Year Degree
The Research Chemist will have/learn a working knowledge of polymer emulsions, reactive extrusion and polymer characterization. They will be responsible for managing our OOAM program around maleated polypropylene and polyamide raw materials and emulsions. Daily activities will include producing and characterizing raw materials and emulsions with techniques such as titration, DSC, FT-IR, GPC and rheology. They will develop a strong understanding of how inherent polymer characteristics and emulsion processes relate to final product properties, quality and processability. They will utilize this knowledge to collaborate with the raw material suppliers to develop new polymers with enhanced performance and/or operational efficiency. Strong project and time management skills are a necessity to consolidate information obtained from other chemists, outside labs and suppliers to meet project timelines.
This dynamic role will help drive innovation throughout the composites industry by utilizing their materials and interfacial chemistry knowledge to develop new solutions to address an array of industry challenges. The right individual will embrace their role as helping to design, develop, and deploy novel water-based chemistries / emulsions, as well as new approaches and methodologies, to help solve the most complex of problems related to fiber reinforcement of composites, thermoplastic / thermoset composite performance, fiber / polymer interfacial adhesion, and fiber processing, wetting and matrix orientation. They will use their sound understanding of chemical analysis, instrumentation, polymer characterization, and surface chemistry characterization to orchestrate novel solutions for the Aerospace, Automotive, Electronics, and Industrial markets. They will have an innate curiosity to understand new composites processing techniques, such as pre-pregs, RHCM (rapid heating and cooling molding), RIM (reaction injection molding), and other emerging processes. And they will enjoy achieving these goals in a collaborative and fast-paced research environment, with goals and objectives that are aligned with the strategic business plan and Group Industries First Initiatives. Primary Responsibilities
• Live and Promote the Michelman Values
• Research and Development – Independently conduct R&D of water-based polymer dispersions / emulsions having major business impact, and commercialize them for the IM Group. Source and evaluate new raw materials for designing product performance improvements. Develop new and novel products via independent bench work efforts. Interact with plant and Health Environmental and Regulatory Affairs (HE&RA) staff on new product scale-up. Evaluate and test newly developed products at customer's site. Utilize Open Innovation through internal / external resources, organizations, and via collaboration.
• Customer Relationships – Develop and maintain internal and external relationships with suppliers, customers, and industry organizations to share knowledge, promote technical leadership, process understanding and materials performance. Provide technical support to our external customers and stakeholders, as well as to internal production, marketing, and sales associates.
• Support – Develop and maintain intimate knowledge and understanding of product and project histories to participate and lead technical and business discussions. Support other chemists and customers to solve their related research problems. Participate in business planning activities. Train new associates and customers in applicable technology areas.
• Regulatory / Compliance – Actively participate in lab safety programs. Work with HE&RA team to learn, understand and properly follow policies and procedures that ensure compliance with regulatory agencies. Be able to communicate regulatory requirements to internal and external customers and stakeholders. Be knowledgeable of regulatory requirements (FDA, TSCA, International inventories, REACH) to support commercial activities and in how they influence product development activities.
• Manufacturing & Quality Control – Work with and assist supply chain to develop and specify manufacturing and quality control procedures for new products. Supervise and implement the First Manufactured Batch process / scale-up trial runs.
• Financial Objectives – Participate in implementing company-wide and departmental plans to achieve the year-to-year and long-term objectives of the organization, focused on EBITDA growth and EBITDA / assets optimization, ROI, and other metrics. Recommend steps to improve the Group and departmental impact on EBITDA and other financials.
• Other: Perform related duties as assigned or as the situation dictates
Required Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Strong Project Management skills with a demonstrated history of working internally across functions and externally with raw material suppliers and / or customers. • 5+ years of experience in polymers, polymer emulsions, emulsion formulation, and / or reactive extrusion. • Effective communicator (including presentation skills) within a matrix organization and with external partners / customers. Which includes customer and supplier education. • Demonstrated history of bringing new products from research to full commercialization, including bench scale experiments, pilot size batches and full plant trials. • Design and conduct experiments of significant difficulty, then draw and communicate scientific conclusions. • Work across the organization to recommend ideas and approaches to enhance current business strategy. • Selectively participates in Michelman business team discussions and provides technical recommendations and expertise. • Applies broad scientific knowledge to develop novel products for the industry based on industry requirements. • Able to travel by car and plane and visit a global base of customers and facilities • Good work ethic, analytical, observational skills, and experience working in a team environment • Able to work in a chemical laboratory environment and wear required PPE • Able to perform financial calculations and assessments; proficiency in standard business office software.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor's degree in polymer science, chemistry or chemical engineering (minimum) • 5-10 years of industrial experience leading projects and interacting with internal/external partners • Experience with various types of physical testing and analytical equipment
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• Job may require long periods of standing • This position may also require one to lift items weighing as much as 50 lbs. to a waist high level • Work may also entail being in a manufacturing facility fairly frequently
Note: The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to the job. They are not construed to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in the job. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Michelman does not employ individuals who use tobacco products. All candidates will receive a drug test prior to beginning employment which will include a test for tobacco products.
It is Michelman, Inc. policy to seek and employ qualified persons in all jobs in a manner which will ensure equal employment opportunity as well as administer personnel actions in a manner as to not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation or disability. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michelman is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
Michelman is a global developer and manufacturer of environmentally friendly advanced materials for industry. Michelman’s water-based surface modifiers, additives and polymers add value in a wide range of applications including wood care, floor care, industrial coatings, paints, varnishes, inks, fibers, composites, and construction products. As an innovator in the development of barrier and functi...onal coatings, and digital printing press primers, Michelman adds value to consumer and industrial packaging, labels and commercially printed materials. Michelman serves its multinational and regional customers with production facilities in North America, Europe and Asia; product development and technical service centers in several major global markets; and a worldwide team of highly trained business development personnel.
In this episode, Chris Knutson, PE interviews Nader Mowlaee on how to create a winning strategy to build a successful engineering career. They hit on why, and how, to establish your own personal brand and they also dive into core skills development and their importance to engineers, as well as the importance of building and cultivating a […]