Bring your passion, expertise, and experience to IBTS, where we appreciate and are committed to our employees. We offer outstanding benefits, growth opportunities and work hard to maintain a culture that values our employees.
The Institute for Building Technology and Safety (IBTS) is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization that was established to provide unbiased professional building code compliance services, while enhancing the communities in which we work. At IBTS, our mission is to deliver quality services to meet the challenges of governance at all levels while enhancing public safety, economic development, and the general welfare of the community. Our services include Building and Community Development, Energy and Sustainability Services, Disaster Planning and Recovery, Quality Assurance, as well as Compliance and Risk Monitoring.
IBTS is headquartered in Ashburn, VA, with additional offices in Louisiana, Missouri, New York, Oklahoma, Texas and Washington, DC.
We are committed to building a community of experts with diverse backgrounds, disciplines, and perspectives who are passionate about our mission. Explore the opportunities.
The Design Review Project Engineer is responsible for providing assistance to the Department of Housing and Urban Development with respect to contractual obligations. This position is responsible for completing technical and regulatory activities necessary to accomplish review and evaluation of Design Approval Agencies (third-party for plan review) under the Federal Manufactured Housing Program requirements and develop performance assessments for each agency. This position is responsible for completing other services and special activities as may be assigned by IBTS management that are commensurate to the engineer's education, background, and experience. In fulfilling his or her functional responsibilities, the Design Review Project Engineer will strive to work in the most efficient, cost-effective, accurate, and professional manner possible.
- Works with team members to coordinate and complete assignments to ensure smooth operation of Design Review monitoring and other HUD contract activities.
- Performs design and calculation/test report review activities for architectural, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and quality control documents, as assigned, for compliance with the Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards (HUD Code).
- Records deviations from the prescriptive and performance-based requirements of the HUD Code and develops design findings for transmission to clients and customers for review and response.
- Conducts quality control reviews of self-developed outgoing correspondence and transmissions and provides document review and quality control for peers and colleagues on design issues, calculations, design findings, and other technical documents. Reviews include but are not limited to grammar, content, consistency, theory, and other criteria as relevant to the specific document.
- Coordinates internally and with HUD, design agencies, and other agencies (APA, ASCE, etc.) to ensure understanding of requirements incorporated by reference and industry standards.
- Assists in the professional development and training of peers and colleagues and provides unbiased and constructive assistance in a professional and courteous manner.
- Responds to questions and complaints regarding codes and regulations including design; construction inspection, and regulatory requirements.
- Confers with and provides information to HUD, design agencies, home manufacturers, product manufacturers and other program stakeholders regarding code requirements and alternatives; resolves complaints and problems.
- Conducts full performance reviews of design approval agencies including executing management audits during headquarters visits, preparing reports, performing analysis of corrective actions, and developing recommendations for further improvement.
- Performs reviews of new and innovative designs and products for conformance to construction standards and regulatory requirements.
- Prepares and delivers presentations internally and externally on technical subjects and may lead or participate in technical investigations and research. May be asked to perform special assignments or programs beneficial to IBTS such as assisting in business development under the direction of an IBTS manager.
- Performs other similar duties as commensurate with education, background, and experience.
- Bachelor's degree in an applicable engineering discipline or in architecture is required.
- A minimum of Three years of related experience.
License and Certification Requirements
- ICC certification all trades (Building, Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing are desired).
- Engineer-In-Training is desired.
- Professional Engineer or Registered Architect designation is desired.
- Certified quality Auditor certification is desired
Special Skills and Abilities
- Good writing skills with the ability to document audit findings, compile data, and write reports.
- Strong interpersonal skills for keeping the audit in a constructive, fair, and team building like manner. Use of tact and strategy during audit for getting cooperation, collecting field data, observations without interrupting the normal manufacturing and QC process, and asking questions and follow up on issues.
- Time Management Skills for executing the audit, coordinating the work schedule of the team members, and other parties.
- Attention to details and documentation to compile all factual data, files, observations, interviews to provide fair and objective support for all findings and concerns
- Dispute resolution skills to amicably and professionally resolve any differences or conflicts
- Travel Planning skills, travel by air/car, hotels, communication, and voucher preparations
- Codes, standards, workmanship, and construction methods for housing construction- all trades as applicable for housing
- File reviews to assess the performance of third parties
- Fundamental understanding of Quality Management Systems and the principles of effective quality assurance programs with the ability to apply them to the building regulatory environment. Conduct root cause analysis
- Customer services skills, understand impact of the audit, business needs and priorities, management responsibilities of the clients and follow protocols
- Represent the organization in an professional, ethical, and consistent manner
- Leadership skills to be recognized as a value added service provider and build good business relationships
- Ability to work as a team player and to work with all levels of staff within an organization.
- Ability to carry out responsibilities with minimal supervision and to successfully complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Competency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).