Sr. Civil Engineer
Are you an experienced Civil Engineer who thrives in a collaborative work environment, enjoys a multi-faceted stakeholder process, and is a proven decision maker? If so, please consider joining our team at Seattle Public Utilities! We are seeking an experienced Senior Civil Engineer interested in working on progressive projects that support a large body of design and construction work associated with drainage and wastewater system designs. The majority of this position's workload will support SPU’s wastewater pump station rehabilitation program, protecting Seattle’s local creeks, lakes and Puget Sound. The successful candidate will have pumping station design experience, excels at leading multidisciplinary design teams, and can develop and cultivate relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including Seattle Department of Transportation, Seattle City Light. King County, and other private service providers.
About Seattle Public Utilities:
Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a Community Centered Utility whose mission is to foster healthy people, environment, and economy by partnering with our community to equitably manage water and waste resources for today and future generations. We deliver high quality, vital services, across four major lines of business: providing water, solid waste, drainage and wastewater services for Seattle residents and businesses. In addition, SPU provides drinking water for 1.5 million regional customers in Seattle and other municipalities. Our customers depend on us to deliver high quality, reliable, and cost-conscious utility services and to achieve the highest benefits possible for every investment we make.
SPU commits to Our City Values and Race and Social Justice as core principles that guide our work. We support and hold ourselves accountable to this commitment by eliminating barriers to access and providing employees with equitable opportunities for professional growth and advancement.
Why join us?
We know work isn't only about what you do; it’s also about who you work for and with! SPU provides a fun and family-friendly work environment that supports a healthy work life balance, including:
- Hybrid work schedule opportunities.
- Five weeks of PTO (Sick and Vacation) and ten paid holidays.
- Excellent Benefits package.
- Free public transportation options.
- City pension plan with employer/employee contributions.
- Growth potential and advancement opportunities.
- Serves as project engineer on the most technically complex, visible and controversial projects or programs involving several design specialties. Project types include but are not limited to: pumping stations, pipeline projects, combined sewer overflow facilities, emergency repair projects, and pipe rehabilitation.
- Leads multidisciplinary design teams in the preparation of preliminary plans, schedules, estimates, budgets, detailed final construction plans, specifications, and agreements.
- Performs preliminary and final design and/or prepares design criteria for pump stations, sewers, storm drains, and other related public works projects.
- Prepares drainage reports and other documentation to demonstrate compliance with stormwater code.
- Prepares contract documents, technical specifications and plans and stamps as the engineer of record.
- Supports major capital projects through construction with review of submittals, shop drawings, and requests for information.
- Meets with the public and representatives of other agencies and City departments to discuss current or proposed projects.
- Provides engineering support for the operation, repair, and optimization of existing wastewater facilities.
- Prepares hydraulic and/or hydrologic calculations and wastewater collection system network analyses, including computer modeling.
- Prepares cost estimates and engineering and feasibility reports and studies for public works projects and utility improvements.
- Serves as project engineer for consultant designed projects, providing technical guidance and reviewing work product to ensure quality and compliance with contract provisions and scope of work.
- Reviews design deliverables prepared by internal design teams for quality and conformance with SPU design standards.
- Reviews third party and/or major interagency public projects or private projects for impacts to SPU facilities and infrastructure. Advocates on behalf of SPU and provides technical guidance and direction for these projects.
- Represents the Project Delivery Branch as a subject matter expert in drainage and wastewater, engineering specialties, including gravity and pumped hydraulic networks.
- Develops, updates, and maintains design standards, guidelines, and reference materials.
- Five (5) years of professional civil engineering experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering (or a combinations of education and/or training and/or experience, which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class).
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Washington
- Valid Washington State driver’s license.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Three (3) years of experience in design of pumping stations including selection of pumps, piping design, and basic process design.
- Experience leading multidisciplinary design teams including civil, structural, mechanical, electrical and control systems engineers.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to perform technical research work and complex technical computations to provide reliable advice on difficult engineering problems.
- A strong background in wastewater system design and analysis.
- Competency using AutoCAD Civil3D as well as AutoCAD Plant3D or equivalent software for mechanical and plant design.
Basic familiarity with PCSWMM or equivalent hydraulic modeling software and techniques.
- Familiarity with City of Seattle Stormwater Code or Stormwater Management Manual for Western Washington
- Experience in design of basic ventilation and odor control systems.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills appreciation for the importance of equity in public service and delivery of infrastructure.
Application Package Expectation:
A complete application package, including the following, is required for this position:
- A full SPU online application;
- Supporting documentation, including a current resume and cover letter describing your skills and experience in relation to this position
- *An Incomplete Application Package will not be considered*
This hiring process involves a background check of conviction and arrest records in compliance with Seattle’s Fair Chance Employment Ordinance, SMC 14.17. Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information. Offers of employment are contingent on verification of information provided by the applicant as part of the application process.