4 days left
- Organization Type
Novato Sanitary District
Invites applications for
Novato, one of the Bay Area's premier communities, is located in Marin County 29 miles north of San Francisco and only minutes from California’s wine country. With temperate weather and over 3,600 acres of open space, 27 parks and the 1,558-foot Mount Burdell, Novato offers a wide variety of outdoor recreational activities. As a community center, Novato is well known for its excellent schools, and 6 cultural and historical museums.
As a special District, Novato Sanitary District is an independent local agency serving about 60,000 residents. The District covers approximately 34 square miles providing wastewater collection, treatment, disposal and recycling for Novato and the surrounding area. District facilities include approximately 250 miles of sewers, 40 pump stations, a state-of-the-art award-winning wastewater treatment plant, and an approximately 800-acre reclamation facility. In addition, the District franchises garbage collection and recycling for the Novato area, and administers local solid waste diversion activities. The District has a fiscal year 21-22 Operating budget of $12.6 million and a Capital Improvements budget of $14.9 million.
The District is seeking a highly enthusiastic, innovative, and goal-driven individual for the position of Senior Engineer. This is a management and confidential position requiring a broad background in project and construction management, and extensive, in-depth management experience directing civil engineering programs and activities in a utility setting. This position will receive general supervision from the Deputy General Manager and is ideal for a candidate with significant project management experience that is ready to step into a leadership position.
- Directing the processing of engineering studies, development of designs, plans and specifications and assigning engineering projects to professional staff, managing the integration of special projects with schedules of continuous operations, supporting the department's organizational policy and procedural development activities and supervising office operations in conformance with applicable statutes, regulations policies, procedures, and technical standards.
- Establishing and implementing engineering project work schedules for planned and approved capital improvement projects and for office engineering activities.
- Prepare and provide reports, information and advice on statutory and regulatory requirements, technical standards and probable operational impacts of contemplated staffing, operational systems and equipment, or other policy changes related to engineering programs.
- Developing and implementing operating policies and procedures for use in preparing capital improvement planning documents and studies, design and plans review, specifications, estimates, construction documents, and other materials required for the planning, design, and construction of improvement projects.
Preferred Qualifications The Senior Engineer will be a technical expert with a broad background in project and construction management as well as extensive, in-depth management experience directing civil engineering programs and activities in a utility setting. The ideal candidate must have strong organizational skills, the ability to manage multiple, competing priorities in a collaborative environment, strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to establish and maintain positive, cooperative working relationships. Additionally, a successful candidate must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field from an accredited college or university. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- Seven (7) years of professional experience in civil engineering practice related to water or wastewater capital improvement planning, design and construction, and secondary wastewater treatment plant maintenance; of which at least two (2) years with a facility of comparable size and complexity to that of Novato Sanitary District.
- A valid California motor vehicle driver's license and a good driving record consistent with requirements established by the District.
- California State Registration as a Professional Engineer.
Compensation & Benefits Salary and Deferred Compensation Plans:
- Salary: $11,150 – $13,552/month depending upon qualifications,
- Employer contribution to 401(a) deferred compensation plan, with an employee pre-tax contribution,
- Voluntary 457(b) deferred compensation plans.
- For “classic” CalPERS members: 2% @ 60 retirement plan, or
for new CalPERS members: 2% at 62.
- No social security deduction,
- Relocation assistance may be available,
- District contribution of 1.5% of base salary to medical after retirement account,
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employee and dependents, paid by District.
- District paid $50,000 term life insurance policy and long-term disability insurance,
- Annual vacation starting at 10 days, increasing to 15 days after 5 years, and up to 25 days at 25 years. District allows buyback of 40 hours of eligible vacation per year,
- 80 hours of annual administrative leave,
- Twelve days of sick leave annually,
- Thirteen paid holidays.
Application Procedure To apply for this excellent opportunity, please visit:
Please direct all inquiries regarding the application process to:
Regional Government Services
Telephone: 650-587-7300, Ext 85
The initial review date of submitted applications is Monday, September 13, 2021. Applications received after this date will be considered at the discretion of the District.
This recruitment may close without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer