Principal Civil Engineer
The City of Santa Maria seeks a Principal Civil Engineer to administer the Streets, Fleet, and Facilities Divisions. The successful candidate will operate with a high degree of professional independence and is the main point of contact for all Public Works operations and services. The successful candidate serves as a key member of the Director's leadership team and works closely with a several stakeholders, including City departments, constituents, and businesses to ensure Public Works operations and services maintain the City's high standard for quality, reliability, and customer service. The successful candidate represents the department on internal committees and working groups and may manage special projects. The position reports to the Public Works Director and has direct oversight of three supervisors, overseeing Fleet, Streets, and Facilities with an additional 46 indirect reports. The position develops and manages an annual operating budget of $10M. This is an amazing opportunity to join one of the fastest growing cities in one of the most beautiful locations in California.
- Ideally, five years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the field of civil engineering or a closely related field; and
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in civil or mechanical engineering or a related field.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- Required licenses and/or certifications:
- Registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in one of the United States required at hire. Registration in the State of California is required within 12 months of hire.
- Registration as a Licensed Traffic Engineer within the State of California is preferred.