Transportation Engineer Specialist
Salary $72,779.20 - $111,924.80 Annually
Location Ames - 50010 - Story County, IA
Job Type Full-time
Agency 645 Iowa Department of Transportation
Job Number 22-00656
Closing 10/3/2021 11:59 PM Central
Point of Contact James Muetzel - James.firstname.lastname@example.org
The mission of the Iowa DOT is safest, smartest, made to last. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for making that mission a reality every single day.
This position will demonstrate actions and behaviors guided by the DOT’s five CORE values: Safety First, Integrity Without Exception, Customer Focused, Servant Leadership, and People Matter.
Are you an ambitious and innovative Engineer? Then we want you to be a part of our design
team here at the Iowa DOT! The Bridges and Structures Bureau is seeking to hire a Transportation Engineer Specialist that will be an essential part of a design team. This position requires an individual capable of applying engineering principles in the design of highway structures and transportation improvement projects of a broad scope and complexity. The individual selected will be performing complex professional engineering decisions that require an active Iowa professional engineering license. The engineering license is to be in place at the time of appointment and must be maintained to remain in this position.
Responsibilities of the position:
- Performing structural analysis and design of complex to highly complex highway structures utilizing steel, aluminum, reinforced concrete, prestressed concrete, and wood. Complex to highly complex highway structures include standard and non-standard bridges, culverts, retaining walls, sign trusses, other miscellaneous structures, and routine to unique bridge deck overlay and repair projects.
- Reviewing plans for complex to highly complex structures submitted by outside sources for approval.
- Makes inspections, analyzes any deficiencies of structures, and writes reports containing recommendations and cost estimates for structures needing repair.
- Draws or directs technicians in drawing the ideas conceived in the design of the proposed structure. Directs and consults with design technicians to ensure that all necessary details, dimensions, notes, and specifications are shown on the completed design plan and the plan clearly reflects the intent of the design.
- Reviews applicable design and construction specifications with the guidance of the Chief Structural Engineer to assure that current Office of Bridges and Structures’ practices and procedures comply.
- Makes suggestions to improve current bridge policy and procedures based on new design and construction specifications.
- Provides mentoring and technical support for co-workers within the design group.
Preferred Skills and Traits:
- Embraces challenges, proactively analyzes and solves problems, and prescribes a successful solution with alternatives.
- Brings passion and commitment to excellence.
- Effectively communicates with all levels of management and a wide variety of individuals involved in our development process.
- Motivated, friendly, inclusive and a get-it-done attitude.
- Brings a professional, positive attitude to our team every day.
- Interesting and complex projects are regularly designed by our staff providing a wide breadth of experience.
- Work in an environment where team-work, customer service, and a positive attitude are valued.
- We embrace and encourage innovative ideas for enhanced infrastructure improvements and user mobility.
- We have the desire to lead and implement new methods and best practices for highway infrastructure.
- Excellent Benefits Package.
- 40-hour work weeks and flexible schedules to accommodate work-life balance.
- Continuing education to aid in meeting professional goals, licensure requirements, and enhancing technical skills.
- Annual performance bump in salary and cost of living increases are typical.
- Shift: Days, Monday through Friday. Flex available.
Location: Ames, IA – Bridges and Structures Bureau
For additional information and minimum qualification requirements, please click on this link to view the job description. (Download PDF reader)
Applicants must meet at least one of the following minimum requirements to qualify for positions in this job classification:
1) All of the following (a and b):
a. Licensure as a professional engineer; and
b. Two years of full-time professional work experience in transportation engineering or civil engineering.2) All of the following (a, b, and c):
a. Licensure as a professional engineer; and
b. One year of full-time professional work experience in transportation engineering or civil engineering; and
c. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master’s degree in chemical, civil, construction, environmental, materials, structural, or transportation engineering; engineering management; or a field closely related to transportation engineering.3) Current, continuous experience in the state executive branch that includes one year of full-time work as a Transportation Engineer.
For additional information, please click on this link to view the job description (Download PDF reader).
Prior to appointment, applicants must possess active licensure as a professional engineer by the Iowa Engineering & Land Surveying Examining Board.