Full Time, Salary Exempt
The Staff Engineer performs water facility design, review, drafting, and documentation of major, complex, and special nature projects. The position organizes and coordinates complete projects from planning stages through finalization and completion of installation. The Staff Engineer reports to the Engineering Manager.
Responsible for special capital improvement projects design and construction management implementation; Assists Senior Engineer in review of city, county, and state implemented projects; Prepares and reviews Land Development project memo responses; Prepares studies and reports related to water as directed; Prepares, coordinates and provides fire hydrant flow tests for private development. Active Communication and Respectfulness of co-workers and the public are skills required for this position, as are incorporating Medford Water Commission Values into daily activities.
EXAMPLES OF WORK (Illustrative Only)
- Reviews and writes Conditions of Approval for Land Development applications
- Reviews and checks for compliance of standards on public water improvements for private development projects and other agency projects
- Prepares detailed engineering designs, plans, specifications and cost estimates of water system facilities
- Prepares studies and reports to other agencies and the Commission
- Inspects major capital improvement projects for compliance to design plans and Commission standards
- Reviews other agency design plans for conflicts with water facilities and coordinates required relocations
- Communicates with the public to answer water service and development related inquires
- Performs a wide variety of special assignments for the Engineering Supervisor
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Knowledge of principles and practices of water system facility design and renovation, water hydraulics, applicable laws and regulations; Skill in the use of engineering equipment; Skill in the use of personal computers and software such as Windows 365 Word, Excel and Outlook, AutoCAD, GIS, and hydraulic modeling programs; Preferred skill in Civil3D, ArcGIS Pro, and Innovyze InfoWater Pro; Ability to prepare professional engineered drawings; Ability to read and write technical specifications; Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, both oral and written; Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, contractors and the public.
Critical Evaluation, Technical Capacity, Attention to Detail, Communication, Collaboration, Teamwork, Time Management and Ethical Practice.
TRAINING, EXPERIENCE AND LICENSING REQUIRED
Completion of four (4) years of college with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering and five (5) years of related engineering experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above; Possession of a State of Oregon Professional Engineer (P.E.) license, or ability to obtain within two years of hire date and an Engineering-In-Training certification. Valid Oregon Driver’s License, or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire, and acceptable driving record.
Positions in this class typically require out of office reviews and inspections, vehicle driving to and from project sites, repetitive motions, reaching, standing, walking, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and seeing as well as working in an office environment.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Apply for Staff Engineer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly