The City of San Mateo Public Works Department is looking for an Engineering Manager
Why Join our Department?
When you join the Public Works Department, you will work among collaborative and energetic colleagues who share a passion for serving our San Mateo citizens and improving the community in which we live and work. Our team is comprised of individuals with diverse talents and experience in various fields. We will provide you with a wide range of opportunities in a team-based collaborative environment while helping you achieve your professional goals. Collaboration, Innovation, Respect, Creativity, Transparency and Informed Risk-taking are attributes within the City’s mission, values and organizational principles that we are seeking in the candidates.
The City of San Mateo is a very progressive City that encourages staff and resident engagement to develop positive solutions that meet the demands of the community and regulatory landscape. To this end, the Engineering Manager will help lead efforts utilizing networking skills, strategic planning, and performance leadership to develop strategies and tactics to accomplish short and long-term project delivery, while sustaining the City’s missions, visions and goals. The Public Works Department is committed to high performance levels and standards, utilizing best practices relative to performance management and team-oriented approaches. The Department supports staff development through a variety of internal and external training opportunities. The Engineering Manager role will include responsibility for ensuring the best possible performance of each employee and accomplishing the collective services, goals, projects, initiatives, and work plans of the Department and City.
What You’ll Do
The Engineering Manager will provide and participate in critical team leadership in assuring that all engineering services, goals, projects and initiatives meet the high-performance standards of the Department and City. Demands of this position will continue to evolve and change to respond to community needs. Adaptability and flexibility are important for success in this position.
The Engineering Manager receives general direction from the Deputy Director of Public Works or higher-level department personnel and exercises direct supervision over professional, technical and clerical staff.
Individuals with different engineering experience that meets other aspects of the Engineering Manager job specification are encouraged to apply and will also be considered in the recruitment process.
For a complete list of duties, reference our job specifications at www.cityofsanmateo.org
Who You Are
- A highly motivated individual who possesses knowledge of principles and practices of civil engineering and administration as applied to the design and construction of public works facilities.
- An individual who possesses the knowledge of design methods of public works projects including the construction of streets, signals, lighting, parking, sewers, storm drains and wastewater system components.
- An individual who possesses the ability to make complex engineering calculations and to prepare and review engineering plans and specifications.
- An individual who possesses knowledge of applicable laws and regulatory codes related to subdivision mapping, land development and construction of public works projects.
- An individual who possesses the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, and deliver effective public presentations.
- An individual who desires to contribute to a positive work environment that fosters motivation, collaboration, coaching, and engagement of our workforce.
What You Bring
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- You possess at least five (5) years of increasingly responsible administrative and supervisory professional public works engineering experience.
- You have the equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Civil Engineering or a directly related field.
- You have a certificate of registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in the State of California.
- You possess, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver license.
Bonus Points (highly desirable)
- Supervisory experience training and mentoring staff on technical matters.
- Managing design and construction contracts and familiarity with preparation of specification following the California Department of Transportation’s standard specifications format.
Salary: $12,554 - $14,964/month, plus a comprehensive benefits package
To apply, review the complete job announcement, benefits information, etc., please go to https://www.calopps.org/san-mateo/job-20162878
Application Deadline: Recruitment will be opened until filled. This recruitment is subject to close at any time without notice. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. First review of applications will be October 4, 2021.