Project Engineer, FORTIFIED
Announcement for Project Engineer, FORTIFIED
We are seeking an experienced, practicing engineer to join our FORTIFIED team.
About FORTIFIED and IBHS
FORTIFIED is a construction and re-roofing program designed to strengthen homes and commercial buildings and is based on decades of research conducted by IBHS, a nonprofit engaged in finding real-world solutions to prevent the avoidable suffering and financial loss caused by severe weather.
As an employee of IBHS, you’ll be part of something that is making a difference in the lives of real people. You’ll work for a world-class organization where integrity and hard work are valued. And you’ll work somewhere where crash-testing homes and buildings is all part of the plan for discovering better building methods.
As the FORTIFIED Project Engineer, you’ll join a team of engineering and construction professionals who are passionate about making homes, businesses, and communities stronger by making resilient construction standards available to homeowners, building contractors, roofing contractors, and a host of other local, regional and national stakeholders.
The FORTIFIED Project Engineer provides engineering support for the FORTIFIED Home Program. Support responsibilities include development of standards and specifications, technical writing, as well as monitoring compliance to applicable FORTIFIED standards, and assisting with QA/QC policies and actions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Represent the FORTIFIED team as a technical expert to internal and external stakeholders
- Author technical support materials
- Perform accurate engineering analysis
- Perform periodic Quality Control checks on designations processed by FORTIFIED auditors
- Provide regular engineering and technical support/training
- Evaluate and provide technical decision-making for out-of-the box field conditions
- Participate in creating FORTIFIED Standards and updates
- Provide feedback to FORTIFIED Evaluation Software development team
- Collaborate with research engineering group to create test plans and assess test results for FORTIFIED-related research projects
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering from ABET accredited university; preferably civil/structural or mechanical disciplines
- 5 years minimum, 10 years preferred working experience in the residential and/or commercial building construction industry with emphasis on field experience
- Demonstrated excellent engineering/technical knowledge, judgement, and problem-solving ability with emphasis on practical field applications
- Working knowledge and experience with wind design calculations using ASCE 7-10 and ASCE 7-16
- Familiarity with current model building code requirements and building code changes
- Familiarity with building construction components and materials (such as wood and concrete framing, sheathing, roofing, opening, and load path connector products) and product testing/literature
Tampa/St. Petersburg, Florida campus, preferred
Richburg, South Carolina campus
All IBHS employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19
Commitment to Diversity
IBHS is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace in which all employees have an opportunity to participate and contribute to the success of the business and are valued for their skills, experience, and unique perspectives.