Assistant Construction Project Manager TOBIN School Project and other ongoing construction projects
The Assistant Construction Project Manager will aid the Owner’s Project Manager (OPM) to provide comprehensive design and construction oversite services. The oversight shall include review and comprehension of the drawings and specifications, reviewing shop drawings for compliance with the contract documents, providing daily input and collaboration with other City staff, the Architect, Contractor, or the Construction Manager. This position assists the OPM with budget, schedule, and enforcing the quality of the design and construction.
The TOBIN School Project is a Lower and Upper School for the Cambridge Public Schools, the facility includes a pre-k, Community School, After School program managed by the Human Services Department. This project will include a 600,000 – 1,000,000-gallon underground storm water detention tank and shall require a large disposal and stabilization of the existing site due to the presence of below grade hazardous materials.
This position requires a comprehensive knowledge of building systems to assist the OPM in evaluation of change orders for merit, labor costs and material costs.
This is an annual contract position that may be extended on an annual or month-to-month basis until project(s) completion. The City OPM staff has other projects in various stages of design and construction which the selected candidates may be assigned, this includes: Multi-Departmental Relocation Plan – Phase 2 and Phase 3 and the Tobin School.
The Assistant Construction Project Manager may be required to assist the OPM on other projects as required. Examples of functional job duty expectations include but are not limited to the following:
- Work closely on a day-to-day basis with the OPM and perform tasks as directed
- Attend weekly construction meetings as requested
- Assist with coordinating consultant services
- Assist with the development of Requests for Proposal (RFP)
- Has a complete working knowledge of the construction document process and the ability to maintain project records
- Has the ability to evaluate or perform Value Engineering
- Has the ability to understand and review contractor payment requisitions
- Assist with onsite job inspection and quality control oversight as required
- Assist in the change order process
- Assist in maintaining and overseeing site safety and security
- Assist in evaluating and resolving claims and disputes
- Assist with punch-list inspections for occupancy and final completion documentation
- Assist with other projects the OPM is responsible for if requested
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Registered Architect or Professional Engineer preferred, with demonstrated successful large-scale project management and building construction management experience of 5 - 10 years. The candidate for this position will have a proven record of successful, similar-project experience or job position, a solid set of personal references, and demonstrate:
- a thorough understanding of building construction project management requirements
- a knowledge of public building construction in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, particularly the construction reform law, Chapter 193 of the Acts of 2004, including the filed sub-bid laws and contractor pre-qualification requirements
- OSHA – 10 card required or the ability to acquire before starting if offered the position
- experience with and successful M.G.L. c. 149 Lowest Responsible Bidder Projects or experience with successful M.G.L. c. 149A Construction Manager at Risk projects
- experience with and successful responsibility for assignments on large-scale construction projects which include construction management, planning/programming; management of designer and consultant contracts; construction documentation and review; public bidding; installation of fixtures, furnishings, and equipment along with other components of total project fit-out; occupancy and move management; and post-occupancy evaluation
- an understanding of “Green Building” design and construction, as well as a working knowledge of the LEED process, NET ZERO design, and building commissioning procedures
- the ability to organize, coordinate and control the many and diverse – often competing - components of a municipal project
- a working knowledge of capital budgeting, project (critical path) scheduling;
- experience in the “community process” either in the private or government sector;
- excellent oral and written communication skills
- appropriate people skills, work ethic, and personal character to work in a team environment
- full knowledge and ability to use effectively all the Microsoft Office Suite software
- ability to understand and review contractor payment requisitions
- strong working knowledge of the construction documents process and the ability to maintain project records
- this position requires a self-motivated person who can work independently without daily supervision
- The City of Cambridge’s workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
RATE: $91,685 - $108,793/year contract position
HOURS OF WORK: 40 hours/week; Work hours occasionally exceed 40/week as project demands; including working occasional Saturdays as the project schedule demands. This is an annual contract position that may be extended on an annual or month-to-month basis until project(s) completion. (3-year contract position).
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit both your resume and cover letter via email to: email@example.com or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and cover letter requested by 10/28/21. Position will remain open until filled. We are an AA/EEO Employer.
Apply for Assistant Construction Project Manager TOBIN School Project and other ongoing construction projects
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly