Transportation Engineer II (Highway Design)
WHY BCA: Experience That Matters
BCA is a leader in planning, design and construction management across New York State. We offer a fully integrated suite of professional services that includes architecture, planning, mechanical engineering, plumbing engineering, electrical engineering, structural engineering, transportation engineering, landscape architecture, construction management, civil engineering, and environmental engineering. A full-service organization with integrated services, like our company, is very rare in the design and construction marketplace. This integrated approach affords our clients a one-stop relationship and a single point of responsibility.
With offices in Ithaca, Saratoga Springs, Rochester, and Watertown, our projects range in size from small space planning studies and grant writing to large scale capital.
BCA primarily works in the institutional markets including state and local governments, public and higher education, non-profits, and healthcare. Our projects include colleges, public schools, courthouses, county offices, hospitals, clinics, museums, airports, and water/wastewater facilities. Our core service competencies include facilities evaluations, facilities planning, new design, additions and alterations design, adaptive re-use of existing space/facilities, historic preservation, and civil infrastructure.
Our goal has always been to be develop trusting, long-standing relationships that are mutually rewarding, both professionally and personally. This balance is why we have been successful in business for over 50 years.
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Transportation Engineer III or the Principal in Charge, the Transportation Engineer II is responsible for performing engineering duties in planning, designing, and construction of transportation related projects across New York State. This role will also help in the development and mentorship of Transportation Engineer I.
REPORTS TO: Director of Transportation or Principal in Charge.
SUPERVISES: Transportation Engineer I
- Performs engineering roles and responsibilities of Transportation Engineer I in addition to adhering to project budget and deadlines.
- Provides mentorship and guidance to level 1 engineers.
- Delegate project work to level 1 engineers.
- Reviews and confirms adherence to design specifications of level 1 engineers by monitoring project progress and verifying calculations.
- Provides input and makes recommendations on the approval of level 1 engineer’s work.
- Assists level 1 engineers and supports higher level engineers with conducting studies to identify potential engineering solutions and assess the potential impact of projects.
- Assist in review and preparation of construction plans and specifications.
- Produces or reviews initial drafts of engineering documents by developing construction specifications, plans, and schedules.
- Assists Director of Transportation and/or Principal in Charge with client contact to ensure total client satisfaction.
- Oversees and manages Transportation Engineer I.
- Recruits, hires and trains staff.
- Evaluates employee performance and recommends or initiates promotions, transfers and disciplinary action.
- Stay abreast of industry technology and developments including knowledge of local codes.
- Accomplishes all other duties and tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- IE Certification or 8+ years of experience in the transportation engineering field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and related software.
- AutoCAD and/or Microstation proficiency.
- Civil 3D and/or InRoads proficiency.
- Ability to translate client ideas into visual and/or tangible references such as drawings or models.
- Team player with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn from higher level engineers along with providing mentorship to junior engineers.
- Excellent verbal and written skills, including ability to present to others in small and large group formats.
- Excellent project management skills, with ability to multi-task and handle competing priorities effectively, while delivering quality work on time.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills, with a priority on cost effectiveness and client satisfaction.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.