The City of Champaign seeks qualified candidates for a career opportunity as a Civil Engineer I to work in the Environmental Section of the Public Works Department, Engineering Division.
Responsibilities of Position
This position performs skilled technical work in the office and field in connection with City infrastructure programs and projects, including management of routine or complex Capital Improvement Projects. Upon hire the position will assist with the Garden Hills Neighborhood Drainage Improvement and Streetlighting Project. Other primary responsibilities include (but are not limited to): under supervision, oversees the design, construction, management and operation of storm sewer infrastructure improvement projects in coordination with a project team; planning and budgeting of storm sewer improvement projects; coordinates storm sewer issues with other agencies and within the City; implements and reports on the City’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Phase 2 requirements; writing and reviewing routine and complex reports related to City stormwater infrastructure design, construction, operation, or management; and receiving, investigating and responding to service requests related to stormwater flooding and drainage issues.
The annual starting salary range is $76,151- $86,690, DOQ, plus an excellent fringe benefits package. Applications must be submitted online to champaignil.gov/jobs no later than Sunday, October 24, 2021.
The City’s mission is to provide responsive, caring, cost-effective service in partnership with our community. The following values guide our work: Personal Integrity, Responsibility, Respect, Teamwork, Results. The City of Champaign is committed to promoting a work environment and a community that values and supports diversity and inclusion.
The City of Champaign is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or a related engineering discipline from an ABET accredited college or university
- At least two years of experience as a Civil Engineer.
- Active Engineer Intern or Professional Engineer registration in the State of Illinois or in another state with the ability to obtain Illinois registration within six months of hire.
- Availability to work outside of normal work hours as needed.
- Valid state-issued driver’s license and good driving record.
- Previous municipal, county, state or Federal engineering experience.
- Customer service experience with engineering project management and delivery.
- Experience with stormwater drainage project construction plans and specifications, construction standards, and construction observation.
- Previous project management experience (e.g., planning, cost estimating, budgeting, and managing) with public infrastructure improvement projects.
- Basic knowledge of engineering specific software (e.g., CAD, GIS, etc.).
Drug screening will be required.
Apply for Civil Engineer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly