Structural Engineer/Building Plans Examiner
The City of Chandler Development Services team, consisting of 83 positions, provides sound land use planning strategies, responsible design development standards, and high quality, safety compliant infrastructure in all areas of Development Services, including planning, GIS, building safety, development engineering, telecommunications and utility franchise, City fiber, transportation engineering, and customer service and permits.
We are a progressive and innovative team that partners with the development community, contractors, other departments, and citizens to deliver quality services in support of the City of Chandler's Mission and Values.
Who we are looking for:
Our new team member will have a passion for customer service, teamwork, and collaboration. In addition to knowledge of:
- Experience performing professional level building plan review with an added emphasis on the technical review of complex structural engineering plan sets.
- Experience providing technical advice and assistance to architects, engineers, and contractors on code compliance problems and to field inspectors in the interpretation of construction plans and assists in the resolution of difficult building code interpretation problems.
- Experience in reviewing and examining complex plans and specifications to determine if they comply with life safety, accessibility, and systems requirements in accordance with City adopted building codes and national standards.
- Experience evaluating alternate design methods and materials for compliance with the intent of the code.
- The ability to provide recommendations to homeowners, the Engineer of Record and/or Building Official.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Structural, Architectural, or other related engineering field;
- Five (5) years of experience in building construction industry with an emphasis on structural engineering design and analysis;
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Arizona with proficiency in Structural Engineering or Civil Engineering or registration as an Architect in the State of Arizona with a strong knowledge of structural engineering principals or the ability to obtain registration within six months of date of hire, or;
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work and which meets licensing requirements.
- International Code Council certification as a Building Plans Examiner.