Director, Engineering and Construction
Director, Engineering and Construction
SALARY: $134,232.00 - $187,932.00 Annually
DEPARTMENT: Engineering & Construction
OPENING DATE: 10/05/21
CLOSING DATE: 10/25/21 11:59 PM
RECRUITMENT TYPE: Internal/External
The purpose of this position is to direct SacRT's Civil, System and Track Design and capital construction projects. In addition the position will provide Project Management and Environmental Oversight to State and Federal Programs. This is accomplished by providing technical and procedural guidance to staff and consultants, coordinating and interfacing with various public and private utilities, railroads, other private entities and City and County agencies, coordinating and interfacing with State and Federal Agencies to ensure program deliveries, working with facility expansions and existing infrastructure, developing work plans for projects, preparing requests for proposals, assisting with preparation of work plans, developing and reviewing technical reports, reviewing design submittals for compliance, recommending changes to existing plans and design criteria, managing consultant and construction contracts, developing scope for the issuance of proposals, and coordinating construction and construction oversight activities.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Manages projects by developing schedules, budgets, and staffing plans, obtaining consultant services, providing technical support and guidance, coordinating among various parties, including city, county, state, federal and private organizations, administering contracts, review technical documents and provide feedback, preparing and/or overseeing right of way engineering documents, plats and legal descriptions, and making presentations to the Board of Directors and the public.
- Developing designs by supervising the conceptual plans for proposed light rail extensions and facility improvements, developing budgets for proposed projects, evaluating various impacts of proposed projects to determine feasibility, providing recommendations to executive management and department managers, and participating in technical committees and panels.
- Supports operational, facilities, real estate and planning functions by examining and identifying deficiencies within SacRT's existing track systems, facilities and structures, preparing recommendations for improvements, providing technical advice and guidance, preparing engineering documents, plats and legal descriptions, reviewing development projects that may impact SacRT's existing light rail system and facilities, and participating in internal audits as needed.
- Supervises staff by planning and directing the work of professional engineers, assigning and monitoring technician workloads, preparing and completing performance evaluations, setting goals and expectations for staff and reviewing timesheets. Provides project management by developing the Request for proposals for selection of consultants and contract management, providing staff guidance on the priority of projects, emphasizing the importance of teamwork, ensuring effective communications with other departments and among project team members, mentoring staff, encouraging and supporting importance of professional development and leading by example
- Manages SacRT's capital construction projects by meeting with departmental staff to get updates on status of project work, managing design and construction management consultants and construction contracts, meeting with project stakeholders to coordinate activities and provide informational updates, developing scope for the issuance of RFP's for needed professional services, assisting design team members with the development of construction documents, and coordinating construction and construction oversight activities
- Performs administrative duties by assisting in the development of department and divisional budget, monitoring budgets, and providing support to the division head.
- Performs Project Management for State (Congested Corridors, TCRP and TICRP) and Federal Programs (Small Starts, New Starts and Core Capacity) by coordinating with internal and external stake holders, oversight of environmental process, oversight of design consultants, participating in community outreach, developing budgets, assisting with internal financial staff, develop or provide oversight of required technical reports, obtaining local, state and federal permitting, provide technical input of right of way acquisitions, reporting and provide updates to SacRT as required.
Formal Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Engineering.
Substitution of experience for the required education is not accepted.
Experience: A minimum of seven (7) years of experience performing professional engineering work in design, estimating, construction and contract administration, with a strong emphasis on design and construction of rail transit systems and facilities, including three (3) years of supervisory experience.
Certification & Other Requirements: Professional Engineer license in the State of California is required.
Proof of required education beyond high school, such as college transcripts, diplomas, and/or certificates must be submitted at the time of application.
FILING INSTRUCTIONS/SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION:
The minimum qualifications as stated on this job announcement represent only the basic requirements of the position. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee that a candidate will be invited to participate in other examination segments of the selection process. An employment application is required for this position. Applications, job announcements, and copies of the complete job description are available at our website at www.sacrt.com.
A completed employment application and proof of education, as outlined above, must be submitted online no later than Monday, October 25, 2021. SacRT will not process incomplete applications. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of an application but may be included with the application. For more information on benefits, a summary sheet is available from the Human Resources Department. The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment process to accommodate candidates with disabilities. For more information, contact the Human Resources Department at (916) 556-0298.
SacRT has a stand alone pension plan which is not part of, nor does it have reciprocity with CalPERS.
SacRT is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action EOE/AA Employer - Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans.
This position falls under Management and Confidential Employee Group (MCEG).