Department Head, Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering
Department Head, Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering
About Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering
In the NC State Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering (CCEE), our purpose is to improve society via research and education related to infrastructure, human health, and the environment.
We are a vibrant community of 49 faculty, 14 staff, and more than 700 undergraduate and 300 graduate students working together in a collaborative, diverse, and collegial environment that is enhanced by supporting our different points of view. Our faculty includes internationally renowned engineers, many of whom have received awards for research, teaching, and outreach, including 15 winners of the NSF CAREER and other junior-faculty awards. Our students ‘think and do’ with experiential learning on real-life problems, and they become leaders in industry and academia.
Over 150 ongoing research projects are supported by over $23 million in annual research expenditures. Our research strengths are reflected in a wide range of graduate programs including computing and systems; construction engineering; environmental, water resources, and coastal engineering; mechanics and materials; structural engineering and mechanics; transportation systems and materials; and geotechnical/geoenvironmental engineering. Our state-of- the-art laboratory facilities were boosted further with our move to the brand-new Fitts-Woolard Hall, located on NC State’s Centennial Campus near the Constructed Facilities Laboratory, award-winning Hunt Library, and industry and government facilities. The department is affiliated with more than 6 interdisciplinary centers and institutes (https://www.ccee.ncsu.edu/research/centers-and-facilities/) focused on transportation, nuclear energy facilities, novel materials, and other emerging research areas.
CCEE has a strong commitment to innovative research and encourages active collaboration in cross-disciplinary activities. The department partners with industry and government to conduct research at the leading edge of science and technology. Most important, the research that we perform today has both immediate and long-term impact and serves as the foundation for safe, smart, and sustainable infrastructure in the future.
The department is seeking an outstanding individual who will be expected to have a strong commitment to academic and research excellence commensurate with the expectations of a major research university.
The Department Head will also be expected to:
• Proactively lead departmental academic, research, and outreach activities in the context of a broad vision of civil, construction, and environmental engineering;
• Uphold the department's core value (https://www.ccee.ncsu.edu/about/); promote an inclusive and welcoming environment with a strong commitment to recruiting and retaining diverse students, faculty, and staff;
• Support faculty development; promote, recognize, and reward faculty research, excellence in teaching and mentoring, and excellence in outreach;
• Create and maintain high expectations among faculty regarding research leadership; advance and project the research stature of the department nationally and internationally;
• Create high expectations among faculty regarding student success; provide programs and opportunities for students to develop research and leadership skills;
• Effectively link programs within the department to the broader college and university mission; foster a culture of high-impact interdisciplinary collaboration in research, teaching, and service within the college and across the university;
• Provide leadership in advancing departmental and college academic excellence within the university as well as relative to peer institutions;
• Engage alumni, industry, and other potential supporters; participate in increasing understanding and support for the Department as a contributor to the well-being of the state, nation, and world; and
• Respect and adhere to university policies and the principles of fiduciary responsibility and stewardship of resources.
Candidates shall possess a doctoral degree in Civil, Construction, or Environmental Engineering, or a related field and credentials to be appointed at the rank of Professor with tenure in the department.
The successful candidate will also possess the following:
• An outstanding record of research, teaching, administrative, and leadership accomplishments along with a strong record of commitment to human and intellectual diversity;
• Experience and demonstrable skills in leading and managing programs, people, and positive change in environments similar to those found within research intensive universities;
• A track record of working effectively with faculty, students, staff, administration, industry and departmental partners, and funding agencies; and
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
How to Apply
Confidential review of applications will begin on December 1, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled. Candidates should provide a resume or curriculum vitae, cover letter, and the names and contact information of three professional references. These materials may be submitted on-line at https://jobs.ncsu.edu/ (position #00000533). Inquiries and nominations may be directed to: Frank Barragan, NC State Executive Search Services, at (919) 515-4365 or email@example.com or to Justin Lang, NC State Executive Search Services, at (919) 513-1963 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About NC State
At NC State, we create prosperity for North Carolina and the nation. We began as a land-grant institution grounded in agriculture and engineering. Today, we’re a pre-eminent research enterprise that excels across disciplines.
NC State is a powerhouse in science, technology, engineering and math. We lead in agriculture, education, textiles, business and natural resources management. We’re at the forefront of teaching and research in design, the humanities and the social sciences. And we’re home to one of the world’s best colleges of veterinary medicine.
Our more than 36,000 undergraduate and graduate students learn by doing. They pursue original research and start new companies They forge connections with top employers and serve communities local and global. Through it all, they enjoy an outstanding return on investment.
Whether it’s Princeton Review ranking NC State among the nation’s best values for universities, Money magazine naming it the No. 1 best college for your money in North Carolina, or Kiplinger’s Personal Finance ranking NC State No. 9 among the best values in public higher education, the university has many reasons to be proud.
Each year, NC State adds $6.5 billion to the statewide economy, equivalent to creating more than 90,000 new jobs. That represents significant return on investment for the citizens of North Carolina in the form of research advances, innovative technologies, successful companies, skilled graduates and new jobs waiting for them.
Our 9,600 faculty and staff are world leaders in their fields, bridging the divides between academic disciplines and training high-caliber students to meet tomorrow’s challenges. Together, they forge powerful partnerships with government, industry, nonprofits and academia to remake our world for the better.
About Raleigh and North Carolina
North Carolina’s rapid growth makes the state a diversity leader and top spot for young professionals and families.
Raleigh reflects statewide growth as a city on the rise:
• No. 2 among the best places to live in the U.S. (US. News & World Report, 2021)
• No. 5 among the best-performing economies in the U.S. (Milken Institute, 2021)
• One of America’s top 10 recession-resistant cities (Smartasset, 2020)
• Among the top 10 “Best Cities to Move to Right Now” (Curbed, 2020)
With Durham and Chapel Hill, the capital city anchors the Research Triangle, a national hotspot for high-tech enterprise. The region’s top companies — including IBM, Cisco Systems, SAS Institute, Biogen Idec and GlaxoSmithKline — rank among the country’s best employers. NC State also maintains strong agricultural partnerships with Bayer, BASF and Syngenta, companies that lead the way in hiring new NC State graduates.
Celebrating its 134th year in 2021, NC State continues to make its founding purpose a reality. Every day our career- ready graduates and world-leading faculty make the fruits of learning, discovery and engagement available to people across the state, throughout the nation and around the world.
NC State provides equal opportunity and affirmative action efforts, and the university prohibits all forms of unlawful discrimination, harassment and retaliation that are based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, gender identity, genetic information, sexual orientation or veteran status.