Technical Services Manager
The San Jacinto River Authority is seeking to fill the position of Technical Services Manager based out of Conroe, Texas. The Technical Services Manager leads the activities of the Technical Services department for the entire SJRA organization. Provides strategic vision in coordination with the Directors of Raw Water Operations and Utility Operations along with their respective divisions that integrates these activities into the organization to sustain efficient and effective operations while enabling the organization to achieve its objectives.
Evaluates, manages, and coordinates resources and activities related to planning, permitting, engineering, construction, repair and rehabilitation of all facilities and systems in a manner to achieve optimal safety, efficiency, and quality. Coordinates closely and regularly with Management and staff of the various operational divisions within the SJRA and with Management of various departments with the G&A division. Performs duties in a manner that promotes morale, teamwork, and communication between consultants and colleagues. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Establishes the overall goals and objectives of the designated area of business with SJRA Senior Management and other applicable business areas; maintains a department organizational structure and delegates authority to subordinates, as appropriate; leads the department to successfully accomplish approved goals and objectives; communicates goals and expectations to team members and measures performance against those goals and expectations.
- Prioritizes, coordinates, and delegates responsibilities and activities to subordinates to be performed in accordance with policies, principles, and procedures established by SJRA Senior Management and/or Board of Directors; conducts performance evaluations, recommends position and compensation adjustments of staff for approval by SJRA Senior Management.
- Represents the Technical Services Department as its principal spokesperson at SJRA Board meetings, public meetings, hearings, regulatory agency meetings, and other affairs that impact the organization and its customers. Coordinates with SJRA Senior Management and Division Management as appropriate.
- Prepares annual budget for the department with input from Division Management and obtains approval by SJRA Senior Management, and SJRA Board.
- Assists Division Management with the development and implementation of the 10-year Project Plan. Assists in the identification, evaluation, and prioritization of Capital Improvement, repair and rehabilitation (CIP) needs as part of overall asset management program. Also assists Division Management with the development and implementation of minor and major maintenance projects. Recognizes the divisions are the Technical Services Department's clients and their input to projects will be considered before any final decisions are made.
- Coordinates with Purchasing/Procurement Department, Risk Management Department, Division Management and SJRA Senior Management in the identification, evaluation and selection of the appropriate delivery methods for design/construction projects including the use of staff and/or external consultants for planning, design, permitting, construction management and other required services and use of traditional (design-bid-build) or alternative (Competitive Sealed Proposals, Construction Management at Risk, Design Build, etc.) construction methods.
- Coordinates development of agreements and contracts of consultants, contractors and other providers of professional services with Procurement Department, Risk Department, Division Management and SJRA Senior Management as appropriate.
- Interacts with consultants, contractors and other providers of services during all phases of planning, permitting, design, and construction; and coordinates staff’s involvement in planning, permitting, design and construction phase services, as required. Evaluates consultants and contractors regularly and objectively for performance, quality, responsiveness, and timeliness.
- Leads the team responsible for the management of all project activities and administration of agreements and contracts for all consultants, contractors, and other providers of goods and services during all phases of CIP projects.
- Ensures design and construction projects are properly managed in accordance with department policies and procedures, including but not limited to scope, schedule, budget, risk, and quality control. Coordinates with Public Communications to develop and disseminate information to our clients, the public and stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil, Environmental or Agricultural Engineering from an ABET accredited program in the United States.
- At least fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible and practical experience in budgeting, planning, permitting, engineering, design, project management, commissioning, startup, and rehabilitation of public works/utilities facilities and systems.
- Supervisory experience.
- Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Texas is required.
- Project Management Professional and/or Certified Floodplain Manager is a plus.
- Valid Texas Driver's License with insurable driving record.