Assistant Civil Engineer
City of Dublin
Invites applications for the position of:
Assistant Civil Engineer
SALARY: $106,620.00 - $133,272.00 Annually
DEPARTMENT: City of Dublin
OPENING DATE: 10/27/21
CLOSING DATE: 11/23/21 11:59 PM
Are you looking for an excellent career opportunity in obtaining a broad range of experience involving a wide variety of public works projects. Do you have a passion for Engineering? Are you looking to become part of an innovating team? If so, the City of Dublin is looking for their next Assistant Civil Engineer. Submit your application packet for consideration.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Prepares and/or reviews all phases of engineering design & drafting, plans & specifications for the construction of streets, street lighting, traffic signals, signing, striping, pavement marking, parks, recreation & parking facilities, storm drains, and other related public works projects.
- Conducts various traffic, transportation, and related engineering studies.
- Prepares recommendations, reports, agenda statements and related correspondence.
- Performs independent plan check, review & processing of maps, plans & specifications for conformance to State and City standards.
- Participates in public works inspection and surveying activities including physical field inspections under adverse conditions (heat, cold, noise, hazardous materials).
- Performs a variety of engineering calculations for storm drain facilities, structural stresses, strains & strengths, survey closures, areas, grading & curves, and related factors.
- Gathers supporting data; analyzes alternatives; and prepares estimates of time and construction costs.
- Administers preliminary engineering and planning, design, construction, and engineering contracts; monitors capital improvement budgets for assigned projects & programs, including the City's urban run-off program (NPDES).
- Provides information and assistance to Staff, contractors, developers, the public and to others over the telephone, e-mail, and at the public counter.
- Prepare clear and concise written and oral reports to various groups; attends off-site meetings, conferences, and seminars during work and non-work hours, and makes presentations at these meetings.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Customer Service: Skillfully serves diverse customer base.
Creativity/Innovation: Collaborates with supervisor to generate unique ideas.
Decision Making: Anticipates and seeks an understanding of the impact and implications of decisions on planned outcome or results.
Interpersonal Relations and Skills: Uses diplomacy to build partnerships.
Time Management/Organization: Implements plans and makes mid-course changes when necessary to achieve goals.
Results Orientation/Execution: Uses critical thinking to analyze issues systematically by planning, prioritizing, and organizing work while anticipating and adjusting to changes.
Any combination equivalent to education and experience is likely to provide the required knowledge and abilities. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Civil Engineering or a closely related field.
Experience: A minimum of two years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of engineering.
Licenses; Certificates; Special Requirements: Possession of a valid California Class C drivers' license and Certificate of Automobile Insurance for Personal Liability.
Possession of a valid Engineer-in-Training (EIT) certificate issued by the State of California, or equivalent certification from another U.S. state or territory. Registration as a Civil Engineer in the State of California is desirable.
- Principles and practices of engineering as applied to public works, infrastructure, and land development.
- Materials, methods and techniques used in the design & construction of civil engineering projects.
- Principles of engineering survey work, computerized drafting and database systems, and related engineering software applications.
- Applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations and engineering standards pertaining to the design and construction of public works, traffic and related engineering projects.
- Customer service techniques.
- Federal, state and local laws, regulations and court decisions applicable to assigned areas of responsibility.
- Prepare plans, maps, layouts, specifications and various engineering studies.
- Prepare clear and concise reports and correspondence.
- Communicate clearly in writing and verbally.
- Exercise initiative in analyzing and completing assigned projects.
- Use or learn to use computers to perform engineering designs and calculations, and computerized public works inventory systems.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- May coordinate and supervise the work of others, including City Staff and outside consultants.
BENEFITS The City of Dublin offers an attractive salary compensation and benefits plan in a professional, growth-oriented environment. The following benefits will complete the compensation package:
- Classic CalPERS Members- 2.7%@ 55; EPMC 0%; 7% Cost Sharing; Single Highest Year
- New CalPERS Members Tier effective 1/1/13- 2.0%@62; 3.05 Cost Sharing; 3-Year Final Avg. Compensation
- Pay-for-Performance system available
- Choice of medical plans through PERS with the City contributing up to $1,900.00 per month; ($1,900.56 per month beginning January 2022)
- Post-retirement medical provided under Government Code Section 22892(b) as established by the Public Employees' Medical and Hospital Care Act (PEMHCA) through CalPERS; PEMHCA Minimum.
- City-paid full family dental insurance
- City-paid single vision plan; optional family coverage
- IRS Section 125 plan/$1000 annual account seed money (HRA)
- City-paid long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Education reimbursement program
- Wellness reimbursement program $25 per month
- Civic Service Leave (Volunteer time off) - 8 hours per fiscal year
- 14 paid holidays (including 2 floating holiday) per year
- Administrative Time Off - 40 hours of administrative leave annually, with the option of being paid for up to 20 hours
- Approximately 22 days per year of General Leave in lieu of traditional sick & vacation leave; increases with longevity
In addition to the above benefits, the City offers voluntary participation in a deferred compensation program, short-term disability program, supplemental life insurance, Dependent Care Assistance program and a credit union. The City of Dublin does not participate in the Social Security system except for a mandatory Medicare.
Special Instructions: The deadline to apply is November 23, 2021, before 11:59 PM PST. Please mark the following date on your calendar: December 2nd and December 3rd. Tentative Testing Dates.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit an application detailing their recent (within the past 10 years) experience and demonstrated career accomplishments relevant to this.
Each candidate's background will be evaluated on the basis of information submitted at the time of application, and qualified candidates will participate in a preliminary remote interview and may also be invited to participate in a written exam.
Only the most qualified candidates will be invited to an Oral Panel interview if held. Only the names of the most-qualified candidates who pass the panel interview process will be submitted to the City for consideration for final selection.
Apply Online at: Assistant Civil Engineer | Job Details tab | Government Jobs
Additional inquiries about the position may be directed to: Alicia Hicks firstname.lastname@example.org. Neither Regional Government Services nor the City of Dublin are responsible for failure of internet forms or email transmission in submitting your application.
Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise us by emailing email@example.com.
City of Dublin is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Recruitment services provided by: Regional Government Services