Engineer in Training
5 days left
- Organization Type
Responsible for planning and conducting work requiring independent judgment in the evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of engineering principles and practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Reviews hydrologic and hydraulic models for compliance with professional and FEMA standards.
- Responsible for managing assigned engineering projects to include budget preparation, utilization of resources, project management, reporting, and public relations coordination.
- Plans, directs, and accomplishes complex design and construction projects concurrently to analyze engineering data, develop effective solutions, and to prepare technical reports.
- Prepares detailed plans, specifications, reports, and studies.
- Utilizes standard hydrologic and hydraulic models for project planning, permitting, and design.
- Prepares estimates, monitors project budgets, and makes recommendations concerning budgetary status and/or adjustment.
- Performs work that involves generating and/or analyzing plans, investigations, surveys, structures, and equipment.
- Reviews, inspects, and/or coordinates construction contract document enforcement including shop drawing review and preparation of field changes, change orders, and pay estimates.
- Performs activities of complicated scope requiring knowledge of principles and techniques commonly employed in specific assignments.
- Documents all work, gathers data, and prepares reports for internal, local, state, and federal approval.
- Coordinates, communicates, and documents activities with other departments, project partners, manufacturers, surveyors, and regulatory agencies.
- Reviews and inspects contractor's work for conformance with contract documents.
- Reviews, comments on, and develops departmental policy and equipment needs.
- Manages interpersonal relationships with project stakeholders, internal and external clients, and vendors.
- Anticipates and addresses the client’s needs, keeping them informed of progress and issues in order to manage expectations on all project requirements and deliverables.
- Provides excellent organizational and communication skills, while maintaining clear focus on project budget, schedule, and scope.
- Performs and/or coordinates project documentation.
- All other duties as assigned.
The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
This position does not directly supervise any employees.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
An Undergraduate Degree from an ABET accredited college or university with emphasis in Civil, Environmental, or Agricultural Engineering or relevant discipline and two (2) years of progressively responsible engineering experience in all phases of engineering including modeling, drafting, surveying, design, construction, and appropriate continuing education or a Graduate Degree with an emphasis in Civil, Environmental, or Agricultural Engineering, hydrology, or water resources; Registered as a Professional Engineer in the State of Texas or as an Engineer-in-Training in the State of Texas.
Knowledge of engineering principles and practices as applied to modeling, planning, designing, construction, and maintenance of various projects; knowledge of the application of data processing as it applies to the development of engineering data, to modern supervisory principles and practices, and to the design and construction of materials, facilities, and equipment normally found in public works projects; and proficiency in the current Microsoft Office package is required. Experience/certification in sustainable design and construction practices and ecological restoration is preferred.
Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and maintain an insurable driving record.
LANGUAGE AND REASONING SKILLS:
Ability to understand written or oral instructions; read, analyze and interpret documents, instruction manuals, policies, and procedures is essential. Strong interpersonal skills are essential to maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, agency representatives, civic groups, employees, and members of the general public. Experience in successfully directing, coordinating, and supervising the accomplishment of tasks by others. Excellent technical writing and report preparation skills. The ability to work effectively and efficiently, under sometimes stressful conditions, to ensure deadlines are met is essential.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Work is largely sedentary; must be able to sit and stand for extended periods of time and intermittently walk, climb, balance, bend, crouch, and reach while performing office duties. Regularly and safely lifts, carries, and handles supplies and equipment weighing at least 20 pounds. Occasionally lifts and carries up to 30 pounds approximately 15 feet.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Work is typically performed in a well-lit and adequately heated and ventilated office environment and requires observance of safe work practices, fire regulations, and avoidance of falls, trips, and similar office work hazards. Occasionally works outdoors, sometimes in adverse weather, and is exposed to such typical hazards of outdoor work as poison ivy, wasps, snakes, and other natural and mechanical hazards.
The stress level for this position is moderate and the workload often requires this position to work non-traditional hours to ensure deadlines are met in a timely manner. Must be able to perform in a small but highly professional team-oriented environment.
Must be able to function in a principle-based organization that has a culture built on character and SARA Core Values of Stewardship, Integrity, and Excellence.