Assistant/Associate/Associate Civil Engineer
Assistant/Associate/Associate Civil Engineer
County of San Mateo
$7,214 - $11,943 / Month
The Department of Public Works of the County of San Mateo is seeking candidates for the position of Assistant/Associate/Associate Civil Engineer to join our skilled and dedicated team!
Assistant Engineer is the entry and trainee level in the professional civil engineering series. Under immediate supervision, employees perform first-level professional civil engineering field and office work while acting in a trainee capacity on a wide variety of civil engineering projects in connection with the planning, design, construction, and maintenance of County-maintained facilities.
Associate Engineer is the journey-level job classification and is responsible for routine office or field projects. Employees are expected to be fully competent to independently perform a full range of duties requiring a high level of technical expertise, and some periodic supervisory responsibilities. Employees may also serve as a resident engineer on smaller, less complex construction projects.
Associate Civil Engineer is the registered journey-level classification in the engineering series. At this level, a high degree of technical expertise and some periodic lead responsibilities are required. Under general supervision, incumbents may perform a variety of professional engineering tasks in such areas as planning, design, and construction inspection of roads, park trails, bridges, drainage, sanitary sewer systems, water supply, and other public works projects. Associate Civil Engineers may provide lead direction to other staff in completing projects of greater difficulty and complexity. Incumbents will be required to perform field work in support of the planning, design, and/or construction inspection of public works projects.
NOTE: Associate Civil Engineer differs from the Associate Engineer classification in that Associate Civil Engineers are registered as professional engineers in the State of California and may provide lead direction to other staff in completing projects of greater difficulty and complexity.
There is currently one vacancy in the Design and Construction Unit. The Assistant/Associate/Associate Civil Engineer assigned to the Design and Construction Section would perform AutoCAD/Civil3D work and work on Public Works infrastructure projects such as roads, drainage, retaining walls, bridges, sewer, and other public works facilities, including the planning, designing, preparation of construction bid documents, and inspection of public works facilities. This position may also involve the application and management of outside grants associated with Public Works facilities.
The ideal candidate is:
- Technically knowledgeable and experienced in the principles and practices of civil engineering, and public works design, construction, and maintenance.
- An effective communicator, both orally and in writing; able to represent the County in meetings and presentations to various groups, including property owners, community groups, regulatory and other governmental agencies, and the public.
- Customer-focused and interpersonally effective in dealing with staff, engineers, contractors, and the public, and in coordinating with law enforcement agencies, emergency responders, and other agencies when necessary.
- Able to provide information to the public and other governmental agencies, in person or over the telephone, regarding County procedures and regulations, facility locations, plan requirements, and property ownership, which may require the interpretation of policies and procedures.
- Able to perform development plan reviews and prepare plan review comments.
- Able to analyze and evaluate alternatives, make sound recommendations, and prepare concise and effective technical staff reports.
- Accountable and able to schedule and carry through with assignments with independence.
- Experienced in designing public works projects such as road improvements, drainage and flood control improvements, parks facilities, water treatment and distribution systems, and sanitary sewer systems.
- Experienced using computer aided drafting software such as AutoCAD/Civil3D.
- Proficient in computer aided drafting and design software.
Licensure/Certification: Candidates for Associate Civil Engineer must possess a valid Certificate of Registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in the State of California at the time of hire. Some positions require possession of a class C California driver's license or equivalent.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:
- Assistant Engineer: Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering OR twenty-four semester units in civil engineering courses and three years of civil engineering experience in office, field, or survey party work OR possession of an Engineer in Training Certificate.
- Associate Engineer: Two years of professional civil engineering experience which has included field and office work in the planning, design, construction, and maintenance of a variety of civil engineering projects.
- Associate Civil Engineer: In addition to possession of a valid Certificate of Registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in the State of California at the time of hire, two years of professional civil engineering experience which has included field and office work in the planning, design, construction, and maintenance of a variety of civil engineering projects.
FINAL FILING DATE: November 29, 2021
To learn more about the position and to apply online, please visit our website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanmateo/jobs/3305965/assistant-associate-associate-civil-engineer-open-and-promotional. Applications are only accepted online. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form, a resume, and a cover letter. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire. EOE