Cost Estimator I
Estimate construction cost from design through construction for the Engineering & Construction Division and other divisions within the agency. Ensure compliance with contract cost mandates. Maintain and monitor costing database. Participate in special project work team(s).
Ensure a commitment to safety through consistent and professional behaviors in performance of job requirements that demonstrate safety is a fundamental value that guides all aspects of our work. Perform related duties as required.
1. Prepare cost estimates for specific work elements. Prepare quantity take offs and develop estimate using unit costs or other measures.
2. Prepare fair cost estimates for potential change orders. Review scope of potential change order with field office staff or estimating staff. Reconcile fair cost estimate with contractor's estimate. Visit construction sites as necessary to gather information for the development of a fair cost estimate.
3. Develop estimates for specific assignments. Analyze cost risks including nature of work, construction market climate and availability of labor or special trades. Assist in value engineering exercises.
4. Contribute to the development of early design construction estimates (engineer's estimate) for budget and funding requests.
5. Research current construction costs, methods or products. Update and maintain costing database.
6. Prepare technical reports, progress reports, special studies, and cost estimates, as directed by estimating staff.
7. Assist TriMet team in preparing for construction contract negotiation sessions as required. Assist with the preparation or review of fair cost estimates, cost engineering studies, and cost forecasts required to support negotiation of change orders.
8. Ensure that the Estimating department's project file drawings and specification are up to date with current revisions.
9. Maintain estimate request log and review with Project Managers on a regular basis.
10. Contribute to design process through cost impact analysis.
11. Support other TriMet divisions with cost estimating for maintenance and repair contracts.
12. Estimate costs for professional service contracts, intergovernmental agreements, reimbursable or betterment agreements based on scope narratives.
Bachelor's degree in engineering, construction management, architecture, or related field is required.
A minimum of two (2) years total credited experience.* Experience in estimating, field engineering, project controls for large scale projects or public works is required.
Construction field work experience is desired.
Or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
*The amount of credit a candidate receives for prior years of experience is based on the relevancy of that experience to the required or preferred prerequisites of the job description. Experience is prorated based on hours worked. LRHR assigns and validates the "credited experience".
Type of Position / Grade / FLSA:
Grade 12, Exempt, Non-Union, Full-Time
Selection Process – Candidates will be selected based at a minimum on the result of:
1. Application Review/ Please Include: Cover Letter and Resume
2. Panel Interviews
3. Reference Check
Make sure you describe in detail how your education, training and work experience fit with this role. You are encouraged to attach a resume, cover letter, training certificates and/or letters of recommendation with your application. You are permitted five attachments of less than 5MB each.
Internal applicants: Information in your personnel file will not be used in lieu of information requested on your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If you are a qualified veteran and would like to apply for veterans' preference points, you will need to reflect your status on the application and attach supporting documentation at the time of application submission.
If you need accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act for any part of the application process, contact our Human Resources staff at 503-962-7505, or the TTY line at 7-1-1. Note that we require a minimum of two workdays' notice prior to the need for accommodation.
TriMet is an equal opportunity employer, committed to developing an organization that is reflective of and sensitive to the needs of the diverse community we serve, including veterans, the elderly, and individuals with disabilities.
TriMet falls under the proposed vaccine mandate and while there is not a current mandate in place, any incoming employee must be willing to get vaccinated if/when the mandate becomes effective.
Apply for Cost Estimator I
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly