Stormwater Capacity and Spot Improvement Engineer (Civil Engineer III)
Are you an experienced stormwater capital project engineer and well-versed in the design of flood mitigation and drainage practices and stormwater infrastructure resiliency planning?
If so, you are encouraged to apply for one of the two new Stormwater Civil Engineer III positions in the Department of Transportation & Environmental Services (T&ES) Stormwater Management Division to perform professional and technical work on stormwater capital projects on the project team. The project team will implement large, complex stormwater capacity capital infrastructure projects identified in the City of Alexandria Storm Sewer Capacity Study (CASSCA) and/or small to medium capital infrastructure Spot Improvement Projects under the Flood Action Alexandria initiative. Flood Action provides flooding mitigation activities to protect people and property in the City of Alexandria for recent intense flooding events due to climate change.
A person in this role will work with the project team to implement large, complex stormwater capacity capital infrastructure projects to mitigate flooding with funding for the top 11 priority Capacity projects and funding for Spot improvement projects in the City’s 10-Year Stormwater Management Capital Improvement Program (CIP).
- Works with the project team for capacity capital projects to mitigate flooding, to include the identification, planning, design, and construction to support the Flood Action Alexandria program;
- Works with the project team for T&ES as the project sponsor department, while working with the project manager and team members with the Department of Project Implementation (DPI) as part of the project team with a consultant to fully design and construct stormwater capital projects;
- Evaluates alternatives and/or prepares engineering estimates, designs, plans, and specifications;
- Leads flooding and drainage hydrology and hydraulics studies, and infrastructure resiliency studies, to include design standards and IDF curve updates;
- Responds to drainage and flooding complaints and conducts field reconnaissance to assess potential solutions, and works with staff to develop solutions;
- Serves as project manager and/or project team member in managing the design and construction of public infrastructure, small to medium scale drainage projects and larger stormwater infrastructure capacity capital projects;
- Responds to complex stormwater planning, engineering, and community inquiries, requests for interpretations, or determinations involving stormwater management issues;
- Works with contractors in the field as applicable to provide engineering direction during construction and inspect their work, as needed.
- Assists in the development of construction contract documents, scopes of work, project specifications. Assist in the procurement of professional services, and management of construction projects for small to medium scale Spot Improvement projects to mitigate drainage issues;
- Presents information regarding capital improvement projects to the community, outside agencies, senior staff, and City officials;
- Perform related work as required.
- About the Department
T&ES is a community partner in shaping a livable, green, and prospering Alexandria. We plan, build, operate, and maintain transportation systems and infrastructure that improve mobility and provide people and businesses with core public services. The work we do keeps Alexandrians moving, growing sustainability, and thriving. If you are curious for a broader view of our City, go to www.alexandriava.gov to learn more.
The Ideal CandidateNotes
To qualify for this position, all candidates must possess a bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or other related field and five years of professional experience; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This position requires the successful completion of pre-employment background checks.