Operations and Maintenance Manager (System Maintenance/Construction)
The Operations & Maintenance Manager develops, manages and participates in very complex and technical Operations and Maintenance projects and programs, engineering analyses, research, planning and design for a variety of Operations and Maintenance capital construction and repair programs and/or operations and maintenance/improvement programs; plans, organizes, directs and reviews the work of assigned professional and technical staff; and performs related duties as assigned.
The Operations & Maintenance Manager reports to the Director of Operations & Maintenance and manages a staff of 39 employees in the System Maintenance Division. The System Maintenance Division is responsible for facility maintenance, mechanical maintenance, vegetation management, road maintenance, rotating equipment maintenance, and fleet services.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be a "hands-on" working manager with the skill to perform the technical requirements of the position, and provide leadership to the System Maintenance and Construction division. The candidate selected for this position will possess the following characteristics:
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Experience effectively working in a politically sensitive environment;
- Leadership and the self-confidence to provide guidance and counsel to others;
- Trustworthy, with uncompromising professional and personal integrity and ethics;
- Candid and direct communicator, with the sensitivity and diplomacy needed to build consensus and achieve common ground;
- Independent, sound judgment and a commitment to foster creative ideas and innovative approaches;
- Experience in developing, implementing and managing budgets to ensure funded programs are implemented in an efficient and timely manner and budget objectives are achieved.
The qualification guidelines generally describe the knowledge and ability required to enter the job in order to successfully perform the assigned duties. Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered.
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in engineering, public administration, business administration or a closely related field supplemented by six years of supervisory or administrative experience in the operation and maintenance of a large water distribution system or a large water treatment facility.
Completion of an Associate's degree with major course work in a water related field supplemented by eight years of supervisory or administrative experience in the operation and maintenance of a large water distribution system or a large treatment facility.
Licenses and Other Requirements
- A valid California driver's license and the ability to maintain insurability under the Water Authority's Vehicle Insurance Policy.
- Possession of a State of California Water Treatment Operator Certificate, T-5 or a State of California Water Distribution Operator Certificate, D-5 or Civil, Mechanical, or Electrical P.E. is highly desirable.
To be considered for this position, please submit an employment application and supplemental questionnaire by Sunday, December 5, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application and supplemental questionnaire. Apply online at www.sdcwa.org/careers.