Assistant City Engineer
Nature of Work
The purpose of this job is to direct and participate in the planning and delivery of public works projects including infrastructure, streets, bridges, and other public facilities. Manages and oversees construction engineering, inspection, and project management of the City's capital improvement projects. Supervises and directs professional and technical staff supporting all activities in the public right of way.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by employees in this job. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- Supervises the work of assigned personnel; participates in hiring, training, and disciplinary actions; delegates work assignments; conducts performance evaluations
- Designs, bids, and manages infrastructure and street projects
- Represents the City and Department on various committees and for projects with potential and current developers
- Assists with seeking grants; provides technical information and estimates for grant proposals; provides delivery of grant-funded projects
- Reviews and makes recommendations for design and construction plans and specifications on facility plans, private development plans, road reconstruction/utility replacement plans, and bridge plans
- Gathers information and responds to City Commission, Executive Office, Director, other Public Agency and Public (resident and business) inquiries, questions, and issues via phone, email, and at public meetings
- Reviews engineering studies and investigations made for various engineering projects
- Reviews departmental policies and procedures and makes recommendations for revisions as appropriate
- Supervises the preparation of grant applications for state and federal assistance for various public works projects; meets with various state and federal officials to review grant applications and projects concepts, including financing and scheduling.
- Supervises the preparation of the departmental budget
- Performs related work as required
Minimum Training and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering
- At least five (5) to seven (7) years of experience in civil engineering, including responsibility for planning, directing, and supervising public works engineering projects
- Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities
Required Licenses or Certifications
- Professional Engineer (PE) license
Should an applicant need any disability related accommodation or other consideration in the application or selection process, please notify the human resources department upon submittal of application
The City of Grand Rapids does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy or gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.