Senior Wastewater Engineer
Senior Wastewater Engineer
At the campus in Elkton, Virginia, we are offering career opportunities for Senior Wastewater Engineers in our Technical Operations Team to assist the Site Wastewater Treatment and Solvent Recovery operations. The manufacturing facility is in the Shenandoah Valley along the Shenandoah River and the Blue Ridge Mountains a short distance from the University of Virginia and James Madison University
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to apply their passion and technical skills as a member of a multidisciplinary team assisting the operation of pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, vaccine product manufacturing facilities.
- Facilitating transformation and modernization of the site Wastewater Treatment Plant, implementing new technologies and operational strategies
- Directing high performing technical team in promotion of wastewater, solvent recovery, and storm water operations, including people management.
- Prioritizing work and resources for technical team based on business need
- Developing and implementing a WWTP operational plan to ensure compliant operation and successful treatment of the organic, nutrient, and compound specific loading
- Promoting operations in maintaining environmental compliance, system operational reliability, and energy optimization
- Providing subject matter and technical expertise for capital projects from initiation through design, execution, and turnover acceptance
- Coaching, teaching, and developing the skills of the Technical Operations engineering team as well as the Facilities Operations team
- Fostering culture of inclusion and diversity and strong partnership with operations, maintenance, and quality teams
- Establishing operational performance and process monitoring systems and tools to drive accountability and achieve high levels of performance | Identify and implement process improvements
- Troubleshooting of wastewater treatment plant, solvent recovery, and storm water management systems
- Overseeing and implementing change control management for waste treatment and solvent recovery
- Managing and guiding technical investigations of deviations, identifying root cause, conducting investigational test protocols, implementing corrective actions, and developing investigation report
- Participating in audits and safety reviews | Functions as technical SME for various regulatory audits
- B.S. degree in mechanical, civil, environmental, or chemical engineering, or related disciplines
- Minimum six (6) years of technical practice related to WWTP operations, engineering and/or compliance
- Previous skills with steering high-performance work team and/or people management
- Highly developed communication, influence, and teamwork skills
- Ability to handle and prioritize many simultaneous assignments and quickly adapt to changes in business priorities
- Ability to quickly address issues and develop solutions to minimize compliance risk and improve utility reliability
- Strong logical and problem-solving skills and a hands-on approach to problem solving, with a bias towards going to see problems for oneself in the field
- Knowledge and expertise in the application of federal/state regulations, engineering standards and OSHA guidelines
- Ability to examine an issue from diverse perspectives (safety, compliance, maintenance, automation, equipment, process, and people) to best comprehend and resolve
- Strong desire to succeed and to help others to do the same
Preferred Learned Skills:
- Master’s degree in an applicable field
- 10+ years of wastewater Solvent recovery and storm water management
- 1+ years of people management
- 1+ years directing high performing project or technical team
- Working in a pharmaceutical or manufacturing environment
- Programmable logic controllers, distributed control systems, or building automation systems SAP, ProCal, or CMMS systems
If you are a person who thrives on opportunity and possess the technical, management of business, and communication skills that are of value to our business, we invite you to apply. Consistently cited as a great place to work, we discover, develop, manufacture and market a wide range of vaccines and medicines to address unmet medical needs. Each of our employees is joined by an extraordinary sense of purpose - bringing our Company's finest achievements to people around the world.
Our Manufacturing & Supply Division is dedicated to being the most trusted supplier of biopharmaceuticals worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, create a reliable global manufacturing network that’s devoted to delivering a high quality, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.