Transportation Engineer Specialist
2 days left
- Organization Type
Salary $72,779.20 - $111,924.80 Annually
Location Ames - 50010 - Story County, IA
Job Type Full-time
Agency 645 Iowa Department of Transportation
Job Number 22-01919
Closing 1/26/2022 11:59 PM Central
Point of Contact Scott Neubauer - Scott.Neubauer@iowadot.us
What we offer YOU:
- Team-oriented, positive work environment
- Excellent benefits package -: https://das.iowa.gov/human-resources/employee-and-retiree-benefits/employees
- Biweekly vacation accrual and separate sick leave
- Paid opportunities for professional growth and development – including training, courses and conferences
- Iowa Public Employee Retirement System (IPERS) Retirement Package
- Company provided vehicle for all work-related activities
- Employee discounts from a variety of vendors (fitness, recreation, & travel)
Our Core Focus:
The Core Focus of the Iowa DOT is Making Lives Better Through Transportation. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for making that mission a reality every single day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXfzUqeUz0A
This position will demonstrate actions and behaviors guided by the DOT’s five CORE values: Safety First, People Matter, Customer Focused, Servant Leadership, and Integrity Without Exception.
Contributing to Our Core Focus:
The Transportation Engineer Specialist will work in a variety of civil engineering capacities within the Bureau, including:
- Supervisor of the Load Rating Unit. As supervisor, the incumbent evaluates the data input from inspectors, calculates a bridges load capacity, reviews other engineers’ calculations, and maintains a good working knowledge of load rating systems such as AASHTO BrR and LARS.
- Maintains the Bridge Load Rating manual.
- Produces load rating analyses for all 4100+ bridges on the Primary and Interstate highway system.
- Determines bridge postings and restrictions. Communicates with district personnel to maintain appropriate signing requirements.
- Oversees the Superload permitting system to make sure bridges are being evaluated properly for superload permits. Works with Motor Carrier services on permitting issues.
- Evaluates proposed legislation that may impact legal and permitted loads.
- Provides guidance to local agencies and consulting firms on load rating procedures.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the bridge inspection program.
- Reviews bridge inspections for information that would affect the load capacity of a bridge and updates load rating calculations as necessary.
Licensure: Applicant must have a Professional Engineering license at the time of appointment and is responsible for maintaining the license by meeting continuing education requirements and all other professional obligations required by the State of Iowa.
Work Hours: Days, M-F; Flex Available
Travel: This position may require some overnight travel.
Office Culture and Benefits:
- Project schedules are based on 40-hour work weeks.
- Flexible work schedules.
- Teleworking opportunities.
- Continuing education to aid in meeting professional engineering requirements.
- Annual pay and cost of living increases are typical.
Excited to pursue the next step in your career? Apply today!
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Applicants must meet at least one of the following minimum requirements to qualify for positions in this job classification:
1) All of the following (a and b):
a. Licensure as a professional engineer; and
b. Two years of full-time professional work experience in transportation engineering or civil engineering.
2) All of the following (a, b, and c):
a. Licensure as a professional engineer; and
b. One year of full-time professional work experience in transportation engineering or civil engineering; and
c. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master’s degree in chemical, civil, construction, environmental, materials, structural, or transportation engineering; engineering management; or a field closely related to transportation engineering.
3) Current, continuous experience in the state executive branch that includes one year of full-time work as a Transportation Engineer.
Additional Qualification Requirements
Prior to appointment, applicants must possess active licensure as a professional engineer by the Iowa Engineering & Land Surveying Examining Board.
Apply for Transportation Engineer Specialist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly