Civil Planning Engineer
Are you seeking more than a paycheck? Do you want to serve your community in a way that's friendly, composed, and professional?
At Jeffco, we are looking for customer-focused individuals just like you who take pride in their work, have an eye for detail, and believe in a positive attitude. Whether you are coming from a job where travel is mandatory, or leaving a company with an overwhelming schedule, you can find a better quality of life working with the Jeffco community. We offer exciting benefits such as flex time, generous holiday schedules, and regular business hours so you can stay put, spend more time with family, and enjoy all the amenities Jefferson County has to offer!
The Civil Planning Engineer is responsible for engineering review and case management of residential and commercial developments. Review, interpret and approve street and road construction plans, drainage reports and plans, grading plans, erosion and sediment control plans, subsurface groundwater collection system plans and retaining wall designs. Refer cases to outside agencies and county departments for comment. Guide applicants through the development process. Review land surveying content, easements and rights-of-way dedications, improvements agreements and title insurance. Engineering review and case management activities are associated with subdivision plats, platting exemptions, minor adjustments, land disturbance permits, floodplain permits, rural cluster maps, right-of-way vacations, re-zonings, special use permits, site approvals, building permits, site development plans, special district service plans, deeds, performance guarantees and annexations. Assist citizens, developers, property owners and engineers related to the implementation, approval and acceptance of the foregoing listed plans and documents. Perform field inspections. Make presentations at public hearings related to proposed development applications. Manage regulation changes. Update process guides and standard operating procedures.
This position operates on our four-day work week (Monday-Thursday).
This position is hybrid, with remote work and in-office work as needed.
Training will be in-office; schedule may vary after training complete.
Target Hiring Range: $66,876 - $85, 267 USD Annual
Full Pay Range for job profile: $66,876.79 - 85,267.91 - 103,659.03 USD
Annual Compensation will be determined based on education, experience and skills.
- Evaluate development review applications for compliance with regulations. Refer proposed development applications to outside agencies and County departments for comments, prepare correspondence to coordinate comments. Review land surveying content, easements and rights-of-way dedications, improvement agreements, land appraisals and title insurance associated with plats, platting exemptions, minor adjustments, land disturbance permits, floodplain permits, rural cluster maps, right-of-way vacations, re-zonings, special use permits, site approvals, building permits, site development plans, annexations, deeds, performance guarantees and special district service plans. Prepare and process waiver and minor variation requests. Manage and prepare cases for presentation at public hearings related to proposed development applications. Guide applicants through the development process. Presentations at public hearings and community meetings related to proposed development applications.
- Review and determine if plans and reports pertinent to street and road construction, driveway construction, drainage, grading, erosion and sediment control, subsurface groundwater collection system and retaining wall design, comply with county regulations. Provide assistance to citizens, developers, property owners and engineers related to the implementation, approval and acceptance of plans and documents. Conduct field inspections related to the implementation, approval and acceptance of plans and documents associated with plats, platting exemptions, minor adjustments, land disturbance permits, floodplain permits, rural cluster maps, right-of-way vacations, re-zonings, special use permits, site approvals, building permits, site development plans, special district service plans, deeds, performance guarantees and zoning violations. Presentations at public hearings and community meetings related to proposed development applications.
- Regulation Review and Updates. Identify and coordinate changes to regulations, development guides and standard operating procedures. Manage regulation changes and update process guides and standard operating procedures. Coordination of county regulations to those of Urban Drainage and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), coordinate activities related to the Community Rating System (CRS) for floodplains, interact with Urban Drainage and other agencies to assist in the update of their requirements, and review proposed construction projects from other agencies.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or related field;
- Plus, a minimum of three years of experience in civil engineering, mining engineering, site layout, construction or civil planning.
- OR any combination of education and experience.
- Public speaking skills to internal staff, external agencies, Planning Commission, Board of County Commissioners and community members
- Must be willing to present a case to the Planning commission and the Board using persuasive skills
- Writing skills and ability to review reports and plans with attention to detail and provide feedback to other staff and applicants
- Strong understanding of Federal/ State/ Local government policies
- Strong written and oral communication
- Strong leadership, mentorship, and/or supervision skills
- Independent critical thinking and analysis
- Demonstrating initiative, innovation, and resiliency
- Experience and comfort with public speaking
- Strong time management and prioritization skills.
Additional Job DescriptionColorado Professional Engineering License (or equivalent) preferred and required within two years of hire date.
Offer of employment contingent upon successful completion of criminal history, motor vehicle report, education verification, and/or references.
Please note that supplemental questions requiring a written response will serve as a writing sample.
Jefferson County follows current Public Health Orders (https://www.jeffco.us/4114/Local-Public-Health-Orders).
At this time, Public Health Order 21-005 requires all county and municipal government workers to show proof of low risk of transmitting COVID-19 by either testing for COVID-19 weekly or submit proof of full vaccination. Some positions, departments, or divisions may require full vaccinations based upon Federal Vaccine Mandates.
Additionally, Public Health Order 21-004 requires that all individuals ages two and older wear a mask in all indoor spaces at all county and municipal government buildings.
The time frame for contacting applicants depends on the hiring team's schedule/workload and how many applications were referred for manager review. Please note that Jefferson County receives on average over 100 applications per job bulletin.Thank you for your patience and for your interest in Jefferson County Government! We wish you success through this process. Do not forget to sign up for Job Interest Alerts through your candidate portal to receive email alerts for future positions you are interested in.
Once the job bulletin has closed, the Talent Acquisition Team evaluates all applications based on the minimum requirements listed in the qualifications section of the job bulletin.
- Next, the Talent Acquisition Team reviews applications for the preferred skills. While these skills are not a requirement for the position, they will contribute to the success of the new hire in this role. These skills are scored and the highest scoring applicants will be forwarded to the next step.
- The next step includes the hiring team reviewing applications and deciding who to contact for a phone screen/interview. The number of applications forwarded for Manager Review depends on the hiring teams request and can range from 10 applications to everyone who meets minimum requirements; not everyone who makes it to Manager Review is guaranteed an interview.
- If the hiring team wishes to speak with you further, they will reach out to you via phone call or email using the contact information listed on your application. You may receive emails asking you to complete a task within your candidate portal and it is important that you are receiving our emails as we do not want you to miss out on an opportunity.