Assistant City Engineer
JOB TITLE: Assistant City Engineer
AGENCY: City of Pittsburg
LOCATION: Pittsburg, CA
FILING DEADLINE: February 18, 2022
SALARY RANGE: $126,360 – $153,576 Annually
Under general direction of the Public Works Director/City Engineer, the Assistant City Engineer oversees the division’s professional, technical, contracted, and office support staff; administers the activities and operations of the Engineering Division; coordinates divisional activities with other Planning and Building divisions, departments and outside agencies or organizations; establishes division goals, objectives, policies and procedures in accordance with the department and city’s mission statement and goals; provides professional, administrative and technical support to the City Engineer; and performs other duties as required.
- Accepts management responsibility for activities, operations and services within the Engineering Department, including development, design/CIP, traffic, inspection and records; plans, coordinates and reviews the work plan for assigned projects and responsibilities; provides administrative and technical direction to divisional staff; coordinates activities with other divisions, City departments, outside agencies and organizations.
- Supervises and participates in the development, implementation and maintenance of department goals, objectives, policies and procedures; reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures for improving organizational performance and meeting division goals; ensures that goals are achieved.
- Coordinates the selection, orientation, training and evaluation programs for Engineering Department personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; identifies and resolves staff deficiencies; responsible for discipline procedures; assigns design jobs, reviews work in progress and submits finished products to Director.
- Oversees and reviews subdivision conditions of approval, agreements, plan checks, field changes/problems; reviews and signs subdivision final maps; prepares, manages, updates, and monitors five year Capital Improvement Program (CIP); reviews and signs CIP construction plans and specifications, lot line adjustments and parcel map waivers.
- Oversees and participates in the development of the Engineering Department budget; participates in the forecast of necessary funds for staffing, materials and supplies; discusses and resolves budget issues with appropriate staff; implements adjustments as necessary.
- Provides technical and professional advice; prepares and coordinates reports and presentations on engineering issues for City Council, community groups and regulatory agencies; reviews and monitors traffic complaints, accident reports and traffic Committee activities; analyzes and updates traffic signal priorities.
- Monitors and keeps informed of current trends in the field of municipal engineering, including legislation, court rulings and professional practices and techniques; evaluates their impact and recommends policy and procedural modifications accordingly.
- Responds to the most complex and difficult inquiries and requests for information, provides information and resolves service issues or complaints; represents the department with other City departments, other agencies, civic groups and the public.
- Establishes positive working relationships with representatives of community organizations, state/local agencies, City management and staff, and the public.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate is an emotionally intelligent, strategic thinker that is relatable and can read a room. The next assistant city engineer will be a team player, humble leader, collaborative and creative with the ability to come up with innovative solutions with their team. The ideal candidate will know how to “get to yes” and understands the importance of high-level customer service both internally and externally.
Key characteristics and attributes:
- A supportive leader who creates a cohesive structure and team-oriented working environment
- An inclusive and positive management style that ensures accountability, responsibility, and encourages discussion and ideas from staff and key stakeholders
- Good organizational skills with a transparent style of leadership; outward facing who is able successfully interact and resolve internal issues, as well as resolve difficult citizen inquiries and complaints
- Flexible and resilient. Able to provide clear goals and expectations, while remaining agile and can adapt to changing priorities
- Stays current in new technologies and legislation
- Effective at community engagement and follow through. A listener
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at:
To be considered, please submit a resume, cover letter, and five work-related references to: https://koffassociates.com/assistant-city-engineer/
For additional information, please contact:
Phone: (510) 345-3954