Civil Engineering Department Manager
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is seeking a Civil Engineering Department Manager with Business Development acumen to manage and grow the Civil Engineering practice within our North Atlantic Architectural Engineering (A / E) business based in Portland, Maine. The ideal candidate for this role will have solid leadership and problem - solving skills and abilities, as well as a strategic mindset to help develop and grow the business, while nurturing existing business relationships. He / she will have experience in leading and mentoring a team in civil engineering design on a wide variety of infrastructure and environmental projects, including site development, water / wastewater / stormwater improvements, sediments and soils, and remediation.
Our Portland team is made up of a multi - disciplinary engineering / architecture / science team of 150+ staff, located in one of the most livable cities in the US. Wood offers the technical and innovative challenges of projects located throughout the US, while also having the structure, resources, and opportunities of a large global organization. This position will primarily work in an office / home office setting but may require occasional travel to client facilities in support of business development and project - related activities.
This is a wonderful opportunity to play an integral role in the development of this business / team, and an exciting time to join our organization; we have a wide and varied group of large projects, across many sectors, as part of a Global services company. Come join our winning team!!
- Play an integral role in new business development and the growth of Wood’s local Civil Engineering delivery team
- Manage a team of civil engineers and designers, providing guidance, coaching and mentoring to staff
- Lead, coordinate, and manage teams of architects, engineers, designers, and subconsultants to deliver assigned projects on - time and within budget
- Lead civil engineering design activities within multidiscipline design teams
- Conduct independent technical reviews of civil related design and construction deliverables
- Prepare engineering design calculations and design reports
- Prepare project permitting documents for local, state and federal site - related permits
- Interact with coworkers, clients, and prospective clients while conducting work in a professional and ethical manner
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or environmental engineering, or a related field; Master’s degree is considered an asset
- Must have 10+ years’ relevant civil engineering consulting experience
- Will be a registered Professional Civil Engineer
- Proven expertise in developing and managing new business opportunities and client proposals
- Demonstrated experience in civil infrastructure and environmental design projects
- Previous project management experience is required
- Solid leadership abilities along with excellent communication and interpersonal skills, is essential
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast - paced and deadline driven environment
- Must have a Driver’s license, and a satisfactory driving record
- Must be eligible to work in the USA without sponsorship
- Wood employees in the US that work on Federal contracts or meet the definition of a covered contractor employee will need to provide proof of vaccination, or request accommodation by December 8
Why join our Portland Wood Team? We are a close - knit team of dedicated professionals working to find solutions for our diverse customer base! Our knowledgeable and skilled Architects and Engineers make us known in the industry and drive our recognition for delivering high quality and technical excellence. We realize this success is the result of the efforts and abilities of our people. Our Portland, Maine team takes pride in maintaining a small family - like environment, while also having the structure, resources, and opportunities of a large international organization. Our Portland office is right in the heart of Downtown Portland; a diverse and lively city with an outstanding restaurant scene and lots to do if you’re an outdoor enthusiast or love the Arts – something for everyone! What is considered the hub of Wood’s Northeast Region, we are looking to grow our team to support our current workload as well as advance our strategic planning towards our future vision – please consider joining us! www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non - exhaustive list): race, color, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.