Mechanical Engineering Department Manager
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is seeking a Mechanical Engineering Department Manager with Business Development acumen to manage and grow the Mechanical Engineering practice within our North Atlantic Architectural Engineering (A / E) business based in Portland, Maine. The ideal candidate must have a strong technical background in HVAC, plumbing, energy, and fire protection design, planning, and construction administration. The successful candidate will possess strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills, and will have demonstrated abilities in growing a business, engaging with clients, as well as providing support and mentoring staff, to help them navigate their careers.
Our Portland A / E Team provides technical solutions for challenging projects and complex design problems, with a focus to providing sustainable, resilient, and energy efficient solutions for our clients and projects. Our infrastructure projects include building restoration, renovation, remediation and new construction in the industrial, municipal, federal, and commercial sectors.
Our Wood Portland team are a dedicated group of professionals, who take pride in maintaining a small family - like environment, while also having the structure, resources, and opportunities of a large global organization. We are nestled in the heart of Downtown Portland, a diverse and lively city with an outstanding restaurant scene and lots to do if you’re an outdoor enthusiast or love the Arts.
We are looking to grow to support our current workload as well as advance our strategic planning towards our future vision. Come join our winning team!!
- Manage a team of Mechanical Engineers and designers, providing guidance, coaching and mentoring to staff
- Lead designs of HVAC and plumbing systems including preparation of calculations, construction drawings, specifications, and engineer’s cost estimates
- Provide senior review and peer review of mechanical engineering designs
- Supervise and mentor mid - level and junior staff as they build their careers
- Coordinate with other building design disciplines and work in a team environment
- Be a key contributor to new business development and growth of Wood’s local Mechanical Engineering practice
- Participate in strategic growth planning
- Support proposal preparation and business development, creating technical scopes of work and man - hour estimates
Skills / Qualifications
- BS in mechanical engineering; Graduate degree in mechanical engineering is an asset.
- Must have a minimum of 10+ years of mechanical engineering consulting experience.
- Will be a registered Professional Mechanical Engineer.
- Proven success in managing projects and project teams is essential.
- Prior experience developing new business opportunities and client proposals.
- Solid leadership abilities along with excellent communication and interpersonal skills is essential
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast - paced and deadline driven environment.
- Must have a Driver’s license, and a satisfactory driving record
- Must be willing and able to travel to project sites and meetings throughout the US, typically up to one week at a time.
- Must be eligible to work in the USA without sponsorship
- Wood employees in the US that work on Federal contracts or meet the definition of a covered contractor employee will need to provide proof of vaccination, or request accommodation by December 8
Join our Portland Wood Team, we are a team of dedicated professionals working to find solutions for our diverse customer base. Our team takes pride in maintaining a small family - like environment, while also having the structure, resources, and opportunities of a large international organization. Our Portland office is right in the heart of Downtown Portland; nestled in a diverse and lively city with an outstanding restaurant scene and lots to do if you’re an outdoor enthusiast or love the Arts – something for everyone! Considered the hub of Wood’s Northeast Region, we are looking to grow our team to support our current workload as well as advance our strategic planning towards our future vision – Join us!
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non - exhaustive list): race, color, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.