Who We Are
Hanover Company, located in Houston, Texas, stands among the most active private real estate companies in the United States, specializing in the development, construction, and management of high quality multifamily residential and industrial properties nationwide. With nearly four decades of experience, Hanover is a vertically integrated company with development, construction, property management, asset management, and architecture departments strategically focused on garden-style, mixed-use, high-density wood frame, and high-rise projects. To date, Hanover's award-winning project mix totals nearly 74,000 units across the country and more than $19 billion in project costs.
Who You Are
You are a Civil Engineer with at least 2-3 years of experience in the design consulting field in multifamily site development, single family, or retail development. You are unbelievably organized, diligent, and tenacious. You have the drive to take initiative and work both individually and collaboratively with a team of in-house technical experts on challenging projects. You are excited to see projects from start to finish. You have the aptitude to use critical thinking to solve problems and address them directly and timely.
Working under a licensed Texas Professional Engineer, you will take a lead role in the due diligence phase on all multifamily and industrial projects across our portfolio. Your responsibilities will include:
- Support in-house development and construction teams during the due diligence process.
- Interview and select consultants. Request and obtain proposals for design consultants including environmental phase I and phase II ESAs, geotechnical assessments, civil engineering, traffic, sound studies, etc. Review and approve scope.
- Prepare contracts for design professionals and send out for execution.
- Prepare any change orders to the design consultant agreement during the due diligence phase.
- Work with in-house counsel and development on review of surveys and title commitment encumbrances to determine any impediments to design. Work with legal and development to cure encumbrances during the Due Diligence phase or track them through the construction process.
- Work with local franchise utility companies to obtain necessary easement abandonments (as needed).
- Track report deadlines and follow up on status of reports. Manage consultant deliverables during the Due Diligence phase.
- Review and comment on reports (civil reports, phase I ESA, Geotech, etc.) and identify any impediments or major cost issues. Circulate to the internal Hanover team.
- Assemble all report comments to be addressed by the consultant (civil reports, phase I ESA, Geotech, etc.) and finalize all reports.
- Upload final reports to the internal network and coordinate with the legal department to distribute to equity partners and lenders.
- Review grading plans, utility capacity, drainage requirements, platting requirements and identify any fatal flaws or opportunities for Value Engineering.
- Assist with regulatory submittal and approval of Voluntary Cleanup application for impacted sites (as applicable).
- Assist with any USACE permitting and approvals (as applicable).
- Participate in Investment Committee meetings with senior leaders.
- Track contractual deadlines, “go-hard” dates and land/loan closing dates.
- Review close-out folders at the end of the construction project and obtain and review as-built ALTAs for adherence to setbacks, green space, parking requirements, etc.
- Limited travel could be required/as needed in any one of Hanover’s major markets: Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Charlotte, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Raleigh, San Diego, San Francisco, South Florida, and Washington, D.C.
- BS degree in civil engineering
- 2-3 years related experience
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask in a fast-paced work environment
- Demonstrated experience working with MSOffice Suite including Excel, Word and Outlook
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
The Hanover Company offers competitive salaries, upward mobility, and a robust benefits program which includes 401(k) with company match, company-paid medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans, and flexible spending accounts. Interested candidates should apply online at www.hanoverco.com.