Senior Engineer - Construction Services (PE Required)
Senior Engineer - Construction Services (PE Required)
Salary: $12,414.13 - $15,891.20 Monthly
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 01415-E
Location: CA, CA
Department: Water Utility Capital
Closing: 2/2/2022 11:59 PM Pacific
Construction Services Unit (Position Code 0493)
COVID-19 vaccination requirement:
*To protect our most valuable assets, our employees, as well as the communities we serve, Valley Water requires all new hired Valley Water personnel to be fully vaccinated (for COVID -19) or to be formally excused from the requirement through the **reasonable accommodation process (for details, see bottom of job posting)
Valley Water Telework Program: Eligibility for telework will depend on the type of work performed, operational needs, and the ability for the employee to perform the essential functions of their job duties while teleworking. Employment with Valley Water requires employees to work within 150 miles of their primary physical work location located in (San Jose, Sacramento) California by their start date.
This position is eligible for a hybrid telework schedule, typically working 40% remote and 60% onsite.
Do you have 6+ years of professional engineering experience managing public works projects? Are you passionate about helping provide your community with safe and clean water? If so, read on!
We are seeking a Senior Engineer to join our Construction Services unit. This position will lead a cross functional team of Valley Water contractor and subcontractor personnel in the implementation of the construction phase of highly complex capital projects. The Senior Engineer will represent Valley Water as the designated engineer on construction contracts and exercise considerable independent judgment in this capacity. They will effectively manage construction contracts, ensure compliance with contract documents, ensure compliance with health and safety regulations, ensure compliance with environmental regulations, and permits, coordination with operations and maintenance staff to ensure system reliability during construction, provide claims management services to reduce exposure to Valley Water, respond to sensitive inquiries from the public and other external agencies. They will also exercise functional supervision over assistant and associate engineers in managing construction contracts.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Represent Valley Water as the Designated Engineer on construction contracts for highly complex water utility, watershed, and facility improvement projects. Exercise considerable independent judgment in the capacity of Designated Engineer.
• Ensure construction work is completed in compliance with contract documents. Ensure contract compliance with health and safety, environmental, and regulatory permit requirements. Ensure compliance with legal statutes, including subcontracting, Stop Notices, labor compliance, retention, and utility protection. Determine Contractor default, termination, suspension, or control of work.
• Lead cross functional team of Valley Water, Contractor, and subcontractor personnel to ensure construction proceeds diligently through to completion of the project. Coordinate construction work with Valley Water operations and maintenance, outside agencies, and utilities. Ensure water utility plant processes remain operational during construction.
• Respond to Contractor requests for information, submittals, issue design clarifications, manage potential changes and issue contract change orders. Direct Contractor force account work as necessary. Analyze and negotiate construction contract change orders and complex construction claims. Lead dispute resolution, including use of alternative dispute resolution methods such as Dispute Review Board.
• Ensure progress payments to contractor are appropriate. Determine and assess monetary withholding from progress pay estimates. Ensure compliance with Stop Payment Notice statues.
Ideal Candidate's Background Includes:
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
Six (6) years of professional engineering experience including experience managing public works projects through the construction phase, including at least two (2) years of lead experience.
Ideal Skills and Abilities:
• Construction methods, materials, specifications, and codes.
• Principles and practices of public sector contract administration, negotiation, preparation, and management.
• Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
• Prepare clear, concise, and accurate reports and correspondence.
• Negotiate, prepare, and administer complex agreements.
• Read and interpret engineering plans, drawings, specifications, and contract documents.
• Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions,
• and implement recommendations in support of goals.
• Interpret and apply federal, state, and local policies, laws, and regulations.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Ideal Training and Education:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in civil engineering, mechanical engineering, or electrical engineering.
Required License or Certificate
• Professional Engineer (PE) License issued by the California Board of Professional Engineers.
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver's license. Individuals who do not meet the driver's license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
To review the Job Description Specification, please click http://apps2.valleywater.org/About_Us/_Jobs/Salary_and_classification/_Spec_PDFs/CS Senior Engineer 5-2019.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following: application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.
(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above. Resumes are highly recommended.
NOTE: Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary.
Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification.
COVID-19 vaccination requirement:* Fully vaccinated means (1) it has been at least two weeks since a person has completed the entire recommended series of a COVID-19 vaccine, and (2) the person has provided proof of vaccination in a form consistent with the requirements for verification of vaccine status in the State of California's July 26, 2021 Public Health Officer Order.**Limited Exemptions to Vaccination RequirementAn individual who has been provided a job offer may request a reasonable accommodation to the vaccination requirement if they:1. Have a contraindication recognized by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or by the vaccine's manufacturer to every approved COVID-19 vaccine. A contraindication means a condition that makes vaccination inadvisable;2. Have a disability and are requesting an exception as a reasonable accommodation based upon this disability; or,3. Object to COVID-19 vaccination based on their sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
Valley Water's Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request.
Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources in advance of any special needs by calling 408-630-2260.
Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned. Human Resources staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/2774078
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.