Assistant Engineer II - Civil (PE Not Required)
Assistant Engineer II - Civil (PE Not Required)
Salary: $9,230.00 - $11,816.13 Monthly
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 01416-E
Location: CA, CA
Department: Watersheds Design and Construction
Closing: 1/24/2022 11:59 PM Pacific
Design & Construction Unit 3 (Position Code 0466)
COVID-19 vaccination requirement:
*To protect our most valuable assets, our employees, as well as the communities we serve, Valley Water requires all new hired Valley Water personnel to be fully vaccinated (for COVID -19) or to be formally excused from the requirement through the **reasonable accommodation process (for details, see bottom of job posting)
Valley Water Telework Program: Eligibility for telework will depend on the type of work performed, operational needs, and the ability for the employee to perform the essential functions of their job duties while teleworking. Employment with Valley Water requires employees to work within 150 miles of their primary physical work location located in (San Jose, Sacramento) California by their start date.
This position is eligible for a hybrid telework schedule, typically working 40% remote and 60% onsite.
Overview: Do you have two years or more of full-time experience as an Assistant Engineer working on design and construction for flood risk management projects? Are you familiar with hydraulic engineering, soils and geology engineering and structural engineering principles? If so, check out this opportunity!
Valley Water is the primary water resource agency for Santa Clara County, supplying wholesale water, providing flood protection, and serving as an environmental steward for clean, safe creeks and healthy ecosystems. Valley Water serves approximately two million people in 15 cities: Campbell, Cupertino, Gilroy, Los Altos, Milpitas, Monte Sereno, Morgan Hill, Mt. View, Palo Alto, San Jose, Santa Clara, Saratoga and Sunnyvale, and the towns of Los Altos Hills and Los Gatos, and manages 10 dams and surface water reservoirs, three water treatment plants, a state-of-the-art water quality laboratory, 400 acres of groundwater recharge ponds, and 275 miles of streams.
This Assistant Engineer II - Civil will support the Design and Construction Unit of the Watersheds Design and Construction Division. The selected candidate will primarily support the design and construction of the Sunnyvale East Channel and West Channel Flood Protection Project. The selected candidate will work collaboratively with diverse project planning, design, and construction teams of other/fellow engineers, capital and operations support staff, biologists, environmental planners, vegetation management, and field maintenance staff to provide basic engineering for flood protection projects, to assist with the preparation of construction design documents, writing reports, and other documentation, required to plan, design, and advertise for construction flood protection projects. The work may include preliminary planning, performing hydraulic modeling, performing a variety of engineering design tasks, creating site specific designs, preparing plans and specifications necessary for the construction of various assigned Valley Water flood protection projects.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
The position is responsible to perform a variety of professional civil engineering duties in the preparation of civil engineering studies, reports, designs and construction plans and specifications for the planning, operation, maintenance, and construction of the Valley Water's flood protection projects which promote water quality and environmental restoration opportunities; to ensure work quality and adherence to professional codes, standards and specifications; and to perform a variety of professional tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility.
Ideal Candidate's Background Includes:
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
Two (2) years' experience in the following areas:
• Design and construction for flood risk management projects
• Open channel hydraulics and fluvial channel design of floodwalls and levees
• The development and preparation of development of 30/60/90 final design plans, specifications, and engineering reports.
• Working with local and regulatory agencies and various utility companies.
• construction field and/or site investigations and inspections.
• Preparation of engineering technical memos, studies, and reports.
• Hydraulic Engineering principles
• Soils and geology engineering principles
• Structural engineering principles
• Familiar with Environmental Law/Regulatory Agencies (NEPA/CEQA)
• Basic knowledge of right of way acquisition by a public agency
• Principles and practices of project budgeting, cost estimation, funding, project management, and contract administration
Ideal Skills and Abilities:
• Exhibit capabilities with engineering design methods of flood risk management and/or open fluid channel design
• Exhibit capabilities with assisting in the preparation of technical reports
• Exhibit capabilities with the preparation of plans and specifications for construction
• Exhibit a good understanding of local and resource agency concerns regarding flood protection projects
• Exhibit good problem-solving ability
Ideal Training and Education:
• BS in Civil Engineering, Water Resources or a related field (Environmental Engineering, Construction Management), and Open Channel Hydraulics and Fluvial Channel Design training
• Training with structural design of minor structures, such as floodwalls or retaining walls
• Two (2) years of professional engineering experience
Required License or Certificate
• EIT Certificate
• Personal Development Plan/Goal to acquire a Professional Engineering License in CA within a specific timeframe
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver's license. Individuals who do not meet the driver's license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
To review the Classification Specification, please click http://apps2.valleywater.org/About_Us/_Jobs/Salary_and_classification/_Spec_PDFs/CS Assistant Engineer I-II Civil 5-2019.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following: application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above. Resumes are highly recommended.
NOTE: Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary.
Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification.
COVID-19 vaccination requirement:* Fully vaccinated means (1) it has been at least two weeks since a person has completed the entire recommended series of a COVID-19 vaccine, and (2) the person has provided proof of vaccination in a form consistent with the requirements for verification of vaccine status in the State of California's July 26, 2021 Public Health Officer Order.**Limited Exemptions to Vaccination Requirement
An individual who has been provided a job offer may request a reasonable accommodation to the vaccination requirement if they:1. Have a contraindication recognized by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or by the vaccine's manufacturer to every approved COVID-19 vaccine. A contraindication means a condition that makes vaccination inadvisable;2. Have a disability and are requesting an exception as a reasonable accommodation based upon this disability; or,3. Object to COVID-19 vaccination based on their sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
Valley Water's Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request.
Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources in advance of any special needs by calling 408-630-2260.
Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned. Human Resources staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/2774097
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.