We invite you to apply to this opening for a Remediation Engineer/Specialist at www.anl.gov/hr/careers, Requisition 411990. In this role you will:
- Provide environmental engineering leadership and support for the restoration, including remediation, of environmentally contaminated sites, with potential RCRA or CERCLA designations.
- Promote the application of innovative remediation technologies.
- Contribute to the development of restoration processes and remediation strategies including the design and implementation of treatability and pilot studies, environmental compliance, and remediation performance monitoring, particularly with chlorinated compounds, their degradation products, and emerging contaminants.
- Act as project manager or technical leader as assigned.
- Act as liaison with state and federal regulatory agencies, municipal and other government agencies, and local community members and representatives as necessary to support sponsor and Argonne activities.
- Experience in the development and implementation of environmental restoration programs, including in-situ remediation systems and ex-situ treatment system and operations.
- Ability and experience in the evaluation and development of cost-effective and innovative solutions for complex site contamination issues.
- Experience and understanding of environmental cleanup laws (e.g., RCRA, CERCLA) and related regulations; federal and state agency environmental management organizations and practices, safety regulations, orders guidance documents, and permits.
- Knowledge of cutting-edge remediation technologies (physical, chemical, and biological treatment processes) and waste site restoration procedures and requirements including methods to expedite cleanup and optimize site closure.
- Experience in engineering evaluations/design review, developing remedial alternatives, estimating costs, and designing conceptual and detailed remedial systems.
- Knowledge of aqueous and isotope geochemistry; geochemistry, fate, and transport of petroleum; chlorinated solvents; and emerging contaminants.
- Knowledge of remediation technology design tools, geochemical modeling, and/or environmental geostatistical analyses.
- Ability to present at technical conferences and sponsor/regulator reviews.
- Publication in related technical journals as the opportunity presents itself.
- Considerable skill in program development, coordination, and management.
- Strong ability to manage multiple projects at various stages of cleanup under RCRA Corrective Action, CERCLA, or state Voluntary Cleanup programs including providing technical input to consultants and contractors throughout completion of a variety of program scopes (e.g., site investigation/characterization, remedial design, pilot studies, and remedial construction).
- Ability to manage long-term aspects of ongoing remediation projects including contributing substantially to the preparation and review of compliance reporting.
- Interpersonal and communication skills in diplomatic interactions with others, including people having a wide variety of backgrounds, and ability to work constructively as part of a team.
- OSHA 40hr HAZWOPER Certification.
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.