Director of Design & Construction Management
The Director of Design & Construction Management will lead a team to plan, organize, and execute the management of all capital design and construction projects for the University of Iowa including capital improvements for the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. The position oversees ensuring the successful execution of projects, from early project development through project construction, completion, occupancy and warranty. This includes but is not limited to; creating systems to ensure projects are consistently on budget, on schedule and meet customer satisfaction. The position is responsible for oversight of compliance with all state and university procedures and policies for the solicitation and procurement of design professionals and contractors towards successful completion of projects.
Duties to Include:
- Develop leaders in D&C who build effective and inclusive teams through employee recognition, engagement, training and development. Champion FM values including workplace safety.
- Lead the Design & Construction Management organization in providing effective management and oversight in capital project expenditures. Pursue a vision of excellence and provide leadership in directing transformational change and improvements in work methods, practices, procedures and performance standards to ensure results that yield the optimum total-cost-of-ownership of capital investments that meet UI strategic goals.
- Develop and manage annual operating budget, approve all expenditures and monitor fiscal performance of work unit.
- Oversee processes to review project designs for constructability, value engineering, cost estimating, commissioning, effective long-term facility care and service, and compliance with the Campus Design Standards.
- Develop and maintain effective and close, interdependent and complimentary working relationship with campus stakeholders and internal service providers.
For a full job description, please send an email to the contact listed below.
About Design & Construction:
Design & Construction leads a comprehensive and cooperative approach to design and construction excellence in creating a campus that is consistent with the University of Iowa’s status as one of the nation’s leading academic/research institutions. We support the university’s mission to educate, provide community service and encourage environmental sustainability.
Design & Construction takes an integrated and sustainable approach to the long-term planning and management of the University of Iowa’s land, buildings, and historic resources. We facilitate and support decision making processes of Senior Administration and the Board of Regents in these areas.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management or related or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Professional experience (typically 12 or more years) with increasing responsibilities in institutional design and/or construction of major projects. Successful candidates will have experience in project management, leading project managers, and overall leadership for an organization.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in management and supervision.
- Must demonstrate leadership ability and senior level planning skills with a good working knowledge of project management and sound building practices.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of staff at all levels of an organization.
- Superior interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated ability to work with a variety of individuals and groups in a constructive and collaborative manner while creating, promoting, and sustaining an inclusive environment.
- Driver's License and ability to meet UI Fleet Safety Standards.
- Master’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management or related or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Professional Engineer or Architect registration/license within the State of Iowa, or ability to obtain registration or license within 12 months and maintain.
- Working knowledge with health care and research on a university campus.
- Working knowledge of facilities management and total-cost-of ownership principles.
- Extensive experience preparing and monitoring departmental budget enterprise financial model.
- Knowledge of educational, research and healthcare facilities management/operations principles including compliance.
In order to be considered for an interview, applicants must apply through: University of Iowa Director of Design & Construction
Applicants will be asked to upload the following documents and mark them as a “Relevant File” to the submission:
- Cover Letter
Candidates meeting qualifications should expect a questionnaire following application submission.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check and driver's license verification.
Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
- Contact Name: Jim Lord
- Contact Email: email@example.com
Equal opportunity/affirmative action employer
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance or accommodations with the application or interview process may contact University Human Resources/Faculty and Staff Disability Services, (319) 335-2660 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For jobs in UI Health care, please contact UI Health care Leave & Disability Administration at 319-356-7543.