Civil Design Technician
MacKay Sposito is seeking a full-time Design Technician to join our access road team. This will be a field and office role that will require you to think outside the box while performing and resolving technical and complex civil engineering tasks and problems safely within established guidelines. Duties will include navigating, evaluating, and providing improvement recommendations for various low-volume roadways, including applicable drainage features, preparing construction bid documents, drafting and designing fish passage culvert and/or bridge crossings, assisting the Project Manager with their duties, and regularly coordinating with clients, general public, peers, and managers.
We intend to fill this position with a candidate who brings with them a critical and related set of skills, knowledge, and experiences. Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet all required qualifications. We strongly encourage all to apply, even those who believe they do not meet every single qualification.
Keys to Success:
- Ability to work independently and with project teams to meet deadlines, schedules, and budgets.
- Ability to maintain composure while under pressure and remain flexible despite interruptions or changes.
- Proficiency in the following key areas: low volume road design;
- word processing and spreadsheets.
- Understanding of fish passage requirements for culvert designs.
- Ability to assist the PM in managing project scope, budget, and schedule.
- Communicate with clients regarding current and future projects.
- Organize and perform projects from inception to completion.
- Assist with business development efforts to cultivate strong client relationships.
- Ability to accommodate a dynamic work schedule including adjusting work schedule weekly as necessary to accommodate workload, project deadlines, weather-dependent fieldwork, and meeting requirements.
- This may include adjusting days worked, start time, and workday duration.
- Overnight travel may occasionally be required 1-4 nights per week with a company-provided vehicle, hotel, and GSA per diem reimbursement (when applicable). Work overtime when necessary.
- Requires an Associate’s degree or equivalent design work experience with major coursework in civil engineering, forestry engineering, or a related engineering discipline.
- Experience in ESRI ArcGIS and AutoCAD Civil 3D is preferred.
- Must be able to walk, lift, carry, stoop, bend, twist, and work outdoors on uneven surfaces routinely (no more than 20 pounds).
- Experience driving rugged gravel roads is a plus.
- Work experience on low-volume road projects with an emphasis on existing gravel roads and fish passage culvert or bridge projects in remote locations.
- A current driver’s license and ability to be insured to drive company vehicles is required.
At MacKay Sposito, we’re serious about our work, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously. We have a unique and diverse mix of employees who enjoy each other’s company. In addition to having first-rate technical skills, we search out people who are friendly, honest, and dedicated to the team and their work.
We believe in constructive candor with our clients and colleagues - sharing our full knowledge and expertise to allow for fully informed decisions. By creating a positive, committed, and supportive environment, we are able to challenge our people to be the best they can be and to celebrate every success.
About MacKay Sposito:
With a diversified portfolio of business segments including civil engineering, landscape architecture, land surveying, construction management, environmental services, and entitlement and planning services, coupled with our strategic mix of public and private clients, we are well-positioned for stability and growth.
MacKay Sposito is about building lasting relationships and strong communities, whether it’s connecting public and private sectors, helping our clients plan and design a complex mixed-use master plan development, powering a remote rural outpost, or improving a city’s facilities. At our core, we’re committed to honesty, dedication, and relationships. These pillars make up the foundation of how we treat our people, and ultimately our clients.
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are also an E-Verifying employer.
Successful employment at MacKay Sposito requires passing a pre-employment background check and drug screening.