Director - Flooding Resiliency and Climate Adaptation
AKRF, Inc. is seeking a full-time Technical Director to lead the development of designs for sustainable approaches to help address issues related to climate-related hazards and stormwater management. The ideal candidate will also possess a broad base of knowledge relative to ecological systems, water resources, and watershed processes. This position will focus on climate adaptation and resilience projects primarily for local government and other public agencies, although it may include work for the private sector.
The position is a senior leadership position that includes participation in the oversight and operations of AKRF’s Water Resources Practice; providing project management and technical expertise; actively participating in marketing, client relations, and firm visibility development efforts; and providing general staff leadership.
The desired candidate will have a blend of technical, project management, office administration, and business development expertise skills.
Technical Expertise: This position should have technical expertise in civil or environmental engineering, with specialization in water resources engineering covering the following types of work:
- Hydrologic, hydraulic, geomorphic, sediment transport, and water quality analysis projects.
- Preparation of technical planning and design reports.
- Leading a small and dedicated team in the design and development of engineering plans and specifications for stormwater management facilities including: green infrastructure, flood mitigation, climate resilience, and ecological stream restoration projects.
- Working experience with the FEMA Pre-Disaster Grant Program/BRIC Program and FEMA Flood Insurance Program a plus.
- Hydrologic/hydraulic modeling experience and familiarity with applying climate projections in design work a plus.
Project Management: In addition to managing and providing technical work individually, this position will assist in managing the general project workflow. Duties include to:
- Conduct contract negotiations with clients and subconsultants.
- Provide technical advice and communication to clients.
- Ensure that all scheduled project deliverables are produced on time.
- Assist in proactively identifying potential problems with projects and provide assistance in resolving them.
- Manage outside subconsultant activities and deliverables as required.
- Monitor project budgets and prepare monthly office billing instructions in coordination with the accounting staff.
- Ensuring all projects adhere to high standards of work through QA/QC processes.
Team Management: This position will assist in day-to-day business operations and directly supervise select office employees, leading and mentoring the team and completing the related duties required:
- Develop and monitor workload and staffing requirements, working closely with other management staff to balance office workload and meet all project objectives.
- Provide a vision and guidance to staff to assist in their technical and professional development.
- Provide team with ongoing performance feedback and counsel to promote improved performance and career development.
Marketing, Public Representation, and Client Development: This position will focus on the visibility of the firm, securing work with active clients and teaming partners, and identifying and securing new work. Part of this effort may include to:
- Develop, manage, and maintain client relationships.
- Identify business opportunities and prepare proposals.
- Attend and present at trade shows, conferences, and seminars.
- Maintain professional visibility by actively participating in civic and professional organizations.
Experience and Education Requirements:
The candidate should have 10 years of diverse technical project experience, demonstrating an increased level of professional development and responsibility. Experience working with both public and private sector clients is desirable. Master’s Degree or higher in Civil or Environmental Engineering or water resources related field is strongly preferred. P.E. registration required.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
AKRF enforces a policy of equal employment opportunity in our daily operations. The firm has a demonstrated history of hiring, training, developing, promoting and retaining minority group members and women. All employment-related decisions are based solely on relevant criteria and without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity, caregiver status, military/veteran status or citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.