Channel Improvement Engineering & Design Manager
To be fully considered for this role and view all of our open positions, please visit www.porthouston.com/careers
Who we are:
Port Houston is the advocate and a strategic leader of the Houston Ship Channel, one of the most powerful economic engines in the state and the country. Port Houston owns and operates the public wharves and terminals along the Houston Ship Channel, including the area’s largest breakbulk facility and two of the most efficient container terminals in the country.
Through our leadership and our work, we help ensure the nation’s busiest waterway stays running to benefit the customers of the public facilities we operate, our surrounding communities and industries, and our region. Port Houston exists to move the world and drive regional prosperity.
The work we do helps build up our local community, supports the economy, bolsters goodwill for the state of Texas, and influences the outlook of the entire region. And this is only the beginning! Our best accomplishments are ahead of us as we expand the Houston Ship Channel and widen its reach to become America’s distribution hub for the next generation.
Who you are:
You are more than the work you do. We want your work at Port Houston to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high-performance culture that values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
Sound like the place for you?
Channel Improvement Engineering & Design Manager Position Summary:
Provides technical and business analysis and coordinates professional engineering, environmental, and short- and long-range planning efforts to support a wide range of complex projects for Port Houston, with a specific focus on dredging, navigation, and capital infrastructure projects. Manages a portfolio of projects in a multi-tasking and deliverable-focused environment. Delivers support to other departments through specific projects and programs developing business cases, action plans for opportunity capture, and facilitating organizational and process performance improvements.
- Manage and execute a wide range of projects using an efficient methodology, strong time management and organizational skills, and overt goal orientation Apply working knowledge of Channel Improvement project requirements including economics, engineering, environmental, cultural, and other aspects of feasibility analysis; construction Planning Engineering & Design; and Construction contracting and execution for dredging, dredged material disposal, and environmental restoration
- Apply substantial experience with project permitting, planning and design supervision, site and environmental assessments, environmental delineation and mitigation, jurisdictional determinations, field investigations, pre-construction activities, NEPA requirements, project accounting, and other details supporting large port and channel related programs
- Coordinate with Port Houston staff, USACE, U.S. Coast Guard, Houston Pilots and other agencies as needed on regulatory issues, studies, permitting, design, and construction activities related to improving the HSC, to ensure their support of Port Houston projects
- Lead meetings and briefings and prepares written reports, and implement effective procedures, records management, and other aspects of project administration
- Coordinate work with Port Houston staff (within and outside Channel Improvement) to guide junior staff and technical personnel; responsible for maintaining quality standards and quality control; oversee and coordinate the design and construction phase of navigation and dredging projects
- Perform project and construction management functions associated with all phases of a project including conceptual definition; engineering design; project scope, specifications, and cost estimates; technical documentation and report preparation; procurement packages; and construction, commissioning and handover of assets
- Participate in the development and organization of effective dredged material placement strategies (beneficial use, upland, offshore, nearshore and beach placement, and thin-layer placement) in a tidal environment
- Audit and manage financial aspects of contracts including invoices, fee payments, income and expense and maintain good relationship with contractors and consultants
- Manage document controls for on-going engineering and construction projects including documentation monitoring and quality review for proper storage and retrieval with MS Share Point
- Prepare and provide presentations to stakeholders to convey goals and objectives, technical direction and general status of projects
- Review work from project team members for technical adequacy and completeness
- Evaluate and negotiate proposals from consultants and contractors
- Act in accordance with Port Houston core values (respect, excellence, accountability, diligence, and you)
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Civil Engineering or related areas from an accredited academic institution required
- Master’s degree in Civil, Environmental or Coastal Engineering preferred
- 5+ years of consulting engineering, project management, State of Texas and federal regulatory permitting, and construction administration required
- Experience in dredging engineering preferred
- Experience working in/for ports and related projects preferred
- Experience in development of planning, permitting, design, and construction documents related to the maintenance and deepening of state- and federally authorized navigation projects required
- A current, valid Texas driver's license is required
- Texas Professional Engineer (PE) preferred
- Academy of Coastal, Ocean, Port, and Navigation Engineers (ACOPNE) certification preferred
- PMP or related project leadership credential preferred
- A Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) must be obtained within 30 days of appointment, and be maintained for the duration of employment
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
- Knowledge of port industry
- Knowledge of consulting practices and skills, and ability to treat internal stakeholders as clients with accountability for meeting requirements efficiently
- Knowledge of project economics and basic financial analysis
- Strong, compelling and clear communication, presentation and writing skills
- Project management and portfolio organizational skills
- Integrative listening and information monitoring skills
- Organization and time management skills
- Strong decision-making, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Public speaking and delivering presentation skills
- Possess exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to interpret and spot issues in complex technical, scientific, abstract information, designs, and construction drawings
- Proficiency in Primavera P6, as well as, Microsoft Office suite, including SharePoint
To fully apply to this position and view all of our open position
Port Houston proudly embraces diversity and Equal Employment Opportunity. Our teams reflect our commitment to celebrating diversity and creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.