Multiple Civil Engineering & Project Management Positions
MULTIPLE CIVIL ENGINEERING & PROJECT MANAGEMENT POSITIONS
CITY OF PETALUMA, CALIFORNIA
Project Manager: $92,622- $112,590 DOE/DOQ
Senior Civil Engineer: $ 111,508 - $135,512 DOE/DOQ
Associate Civil Engineer: $101,462 – $123,323 DOE/DOQ
Assistant Engineer I: $76,710– $ 93,204 DOE/DOQ
Assistant Engineer II: $88,150 - $107,182 DOE/DOQ
Due to some exciting changes and new funding resources, the City of Petaluma is growing its Public Works Department to champion some very exciting projects. The City of Petaluma seeks multiple engineering positions: Project Manager, Senior Civil Engineer, Associate Civil Engineer, and Assistant Engineer I & II. The Senior Civil Engineer performs complex engineering work, while the Project Manager ensures the Department is meeting its project goals and the Associate Civil Engineer and Assistant Engineer I & II support projects across the Department. Some of these projects in our Public Works Department include upgrades and changes to city facilities, airport, riverfront, marina, bike and pedestrian pathways, parks, open space, utilities, and street improvements. These positions allow for career growth and the opportunity to gain a diverse skillset, leading to an increase in responsibilities and supervisory functions. The Department is offering a unique opportunity to work in a full-service public works department (design, bid, build) and needs candidates that will effectively work with our community and our amazing department and City team members. These candidates will be collaborative, communicative, flexible, push for innovation, and take appropriate risk to think out of the box. If you’re interested in working for a full-service public works department that embraces a high-performance organizational culture and offers the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, apply today!
See the full recruitment brochure here: https://indd.adobe.com/view/30270400-3c5d-4195-9ccb-f4c56d0ee6cd
THE JOBS / THE IDEAL CANDIDATES
The Project Manager ensures projects are moving forward and meeting deadlines. They will oversee various architectural, engineering, and capital improvement projects within the Department. Much of this role involves strategic planning, task delegation, and progress monitoring. The Project Manager will ensure the City is meeting green building requirements and is working to be more sustainable and energy-efficient. They will also oversee licensing requirements, prepare project budgets, develop project schedules, and do anything else that ensures projects are running smoothly. The ideal candidate is highly organized, ensuring their team is meeting crucial timelines and goals within the scope of each project. The successful candidate will use their strong interpersonal skills when they interact with contractors and City staff. They need to be familiar with rules, regulations, and laws affecting City projects and adapt quickly. Successful candidates will be technically savvy and have experience using project management systems.
Senior Civil Engineer
The Senior Civil Engineer will use their substantial experience and training to perform high-level civil engineering tasks. While providing staff with direction and guidance, they will work independently, prioritize the engineering team’s work, and support capital improvement projects. Projects can range across water, sewer, and storm systems, public right-of-way infrastructure, pedestrian and bicycle programs, airport, parks & recreation facilities, and other City-owned buildings. This position will work on projects from “cradle to grave,” including in-house design and other exciting opportunities that may not always be managed in-house. This position will also develop and supervise junior engineering staff and ensure they are fostering a purposeful and enriching employment culture. This position will also collaborate across divisions and departments within the City, as well as effectively communicate, support, and build relationships with the City committees, commissions, and boards, elected officials, regional partners, and other stakeholders. The next Senior Civil Engineer will lead others while also being a hands-on contributor to the team’s work.
Associate Civil Engineer and Assistant Engineer I & II (2 positions)
The Associate Civil Engineer and Assistant Engineer I & II both perform civil engineering work for the Department, working in the office and the field. The Associate Civil Engineer acts as a project leader within their scope of experience and expertise while the Assistant Engineer I & II works to support such work. The types of projects these roles focus on include streets, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, sidewalks, streetlights, and other public works construction projects.
The ideal candidates for ALL these positions have strong problem-solving, communication, and collaboration skills. These positions will have an in-depth understanding of safety practices and applicable civil engineering laws, rules, tools, and systems. Successful candidates will have a growth mindset and look forward to developing their civil engineering careers. The successful candidates will be highly attentive to detail, as they will work on projects that require great accuracy and compliance with regulations. Strong communication and presentation skills, customer service focus, and a desire to serve constituents to improve the lives of those in our community are a must.
An attractive benefits package that includes a retirement pension, medical, dental, and vision benefits, lifestyle perks, paid time off (vacation, sick leave, parental leave, etc.), wellness benefits, and more!
For all positions: Any combination equivalent to the education and experience likely to provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to gain such knowledge and abilities would be:
- All positions: Possession of a valid California Class C driver’s license; at time of hire, AND…
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in engineering, architecture, environmental studies, construction management, or a related field; and Four years of increasingly responsible experience coordinating and administering architectural, engineering, or construction capital projects
- Experience with municipal or other public sector capital projects Possession of a valid registration as a Professional Engineer (any state/country with comity)
Senior Civil Engineer
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil engineering or a related field; and Five years of progressively responsible professional engineering experience to demonstrate possession of the knowledge and abilities listed above, including supervisory experience Registration as a Professional Civil Engineer (PE) in the State of California with good standing
Associate Civil Engineer & Assistant Engineer I & II
- Associate & Assistant: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil engineering or a related field; and Assistant II: Two years of professional civil engineering experience equivalent to Assistant Engineer I with the City of Petaluma
- Associate: Two years of professional civil engineering experience Associate: Registration as a Professional Civil Engineer with good standing is required from any U.S. state or from any other country with comparable registration requirements as approved by the Director
- Associate: Experience in a municipal or public setting Associate: Registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in California is desirable, supported, and encouraged Assistant I: Experience in civil engineering work is desirable Assistant II: Possession of an Engineer-in-Training certificate in Civil Engineering is desirable
HOW TO APPLY
For first consideration, apply ASAP, as interviews will take place as qualified candidates are identified. Apply at
wbcpinc.com/job-board/ and submit a resume.
Please contact your recruiter, Wendi Brown, with any questions:
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org 541-664-0376 866-929-WBCP (9227) – toll-free
Please Note: In order to ensure the City fulfills its primary function of protecting the health and safety of our community and employees, the City of Petaluma has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination and testing policy to help mitigate transmission of COVID-19. All City of Petaluma employees are required to comply with the provisions of the COVID-19 vaccination and testing policy. Therefore, any candidate selected to move forward in the selection process, as a condition of employment, will be required to either: (1) provide proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 (proof of vaccination means being fully vaccinated according to the latest criteria established by federal and local public health agencies); or (2) submit to weekly COVID-19 testing