Associate Civil/Electrical/Mechanical Engineer (Water Treatment Plant Improvements)
East Bay Municipal Utility District’s (EBMUD’s) Design Division, part of the Engineering and Construction Department, is seeking an Associate Civil/Electrical/Mechanical Engineer who is motivated, energetic, a team player, a strong project manager, and experienced with working on civil infrastructure projects. Reporting to a Senior Engineer, Associate Engineer is the registered professional engineer level position on the EBMUD engineering career ladder.
This selection process is being conducted to establish a civil service hiring list that may be used to fill Associate Civil/Electrical/Mechanical Engineer openings within specific sections in the Design Division, with the current vacancy in the Water Treatment Plant Improvements Section. In addition to this section, the other sections within the Design Division may consider this list for future openings.
The selected individual for the opening in the Water Treatment Plant Improvements Section will primarily manage various engineering design projects such as pretreatment project, disinfection improvements projects, solids handling projects, chemical systems upgrades, plant startup, plant support, and various other projects around our Water Treatment Plants. The incumbent may also be assigned to manage water treatment projects and/or construction management of water treatment plant projects. The ideal candidate is prepared for/to:
• Overall management of multi-million dollar capital projects for treatment plant upgrades.
• System planning of water treatment facilities on both a plant-by-plant and system wide basis.
• Evaluation of water treatment processes (i.e., filtration, flocculation, sedimentation and disinfection) at bench, pilot and full-scale including development of study plans, collection of chemical and process data and analysis of data.
• Analysis of existing and future water quality and water treatment regulations to determine treatment needs and priorities.
• Development of process design criteria for treatment plant upgrades, i.e., unit process selection, required chemical dosages, required chemical storage quantities, process unit shapes and sizes, baffling and mixing needs, velocity and detention time ranges, sequencing of unit processes, etc.
• Scoping and development of capital projects, based on knowledge of limitations and capacities of available treatment technologies, in order to satisfy site constraints, water quality needs, budget and operational constraints.
• Design of water treatment facilities including development of construction bid documents and cost estimates.
• Construction support for water treatment projects including system startup support and construction management.
The salary range for Associate Civil and Mechanical Engineer is $11,362 per month increasing to $11,930, $12,527, $13,153, and $13,811 after 6, 18, 30, and 42 months, respectively.
The salary range for Associate Electrical Engineer is $11,647 per month increasing to $12,229, $12,840, $13,482, and $14,156 after 6, 18, 30, and 42 months, respectively.
EBMUD offers an excellent benefits program that includes: paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; family health insurance coverage; family dental and vision care plans; retirement plan (reciprocal with CalPERS); 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; transit subsidy; tuition reimbursement; and opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.
1. A bachelor’s degree in an ABET-accredited civil, electrical, mechanical or environmental engineering curriculum, or a California EIT certificate.
2. Four years of professional civil, electrical and/or mechanical engineering experience (subsequent to obtaining the degree), which is equivalent to two years of experience at EBMUD’s Assistant Engineer level; and,
3. California registration as a Professional Civil, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineer. Must possess a valid California driver’s license and have a satisfactory driving record.
4. Must possess physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job. Must be willing to work overtime as needed.
Please note: EBMUD requires all employees to provide written proof of vaccination. Those employees with sincerely held religious beliefs or valid medical reasons, as determined by EBMUD, will be exempt from vaccination requirements. Please contact EBMUD Human Resources for additional questions.
Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.ebmud.com/jobs by 4:30 p.m., Friday, May 20, 2022. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability