Assistant Engineer (Field, Construction Division)
East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) invites qualified individuals to apply for an Assistant Engineer position within the Construction Division. The selected candidate will serve primarily in a field/resident engineer capacity, reporting to EBMUD job sites daily and assisting with construction of municipal water transmission, treatment, storage, and/or distribution facilities. Individuals in these positions are assigned an EBMUD laptop, smart phone, and vehicle with take-home authorization. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills and problem-solving ability are essential to success.
Under general supervision, the Assistant Engineer ensures compliance with contract documents and monitors quality of construction; performs inspection and testing activities; serves as primary contact with contractor’s staff; serves as primary contact with EBMUD project support team; and coordinates and witnesses a variety of startup and commissioning tasks. Reporting to a Senior Engineer, the Assistant Engineer is the journey-level engineer position in the EBMUD engineering career ladder.
These individuals perform both office and field engineering as well as construction management duties for complex projects involving multiple disciplines, including civil, mechanical, HVAC, structural, architectural, geotechnical, electrical, and/or instrumentation and control elements.
Specific duties may include:
• Inspecting contractor work on small to large construction projects to meet goals and to deliver quality results within budget and on schedule.
• Ensuring compliance with contract documents by the contractor and overall project quality.
• Ensuring proper safety practices are followed by EBMUD and contractor staff.
• Preparing daily inspection reports and project files.
• Resolving field problems, responding to contractor Request for Information (RFI’s), and assisting with the preparation of change order packages.
The salary range is $10,290 per month increasing to $10,805, $11,345, $11,912 and $12,508 after 6, 18, 30, and 42 months, respectively.
EBMUD offers an excellent benefits program that includes: paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; family health insurance coverage; family dental and vision care plans; retirement plan (reciprocal with CalPERS); 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; transit subsidy; tuition reimbursement; and opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.
1. A bachelor's degree in a civil, electrical or mechanical engineering curriculum accredited by ABET or a California Engineer-in-Training Certificate; and
2. Two years of professional civil, electrical or mechanical engineering experience, at a level comparable to or higher than EBMUD's Junior Engineer classification, after obtaining the education outlined above. An advanced degree in an accredited engineering curriculum may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
3. Possession of a valid California driver license and a satisfactory driving record.
Must possess the physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job; willingness to work outdoors in a variety of conditions and to perform inspections in confined spaces and willingness to work extended hours and off-shifts as required.
Please note: EBMUD requires all employees to provide written proof of vaccination. Those employees with sincerely held religious beliefs or valid medical reasons, as determined by EBMUD, will be exempt from vaccination requirements. Contact EBMUD Human Resources for additional questions.
Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.ebmud.com/jobs by 4:30 p.m., Friday, May 6, 2022. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability