Postdoctoral Research Associate - Physical Oceanography, Coastal Engineering
2 days left
- Organization Type
Search #: 495222
Work type: Full-time
Location: Avery Point Campus
Categories: Postdoctoral Research Associates
The University of Connecticut (UConn) seeks applicants for the position of Postdoctoral Research Associate at the Connecticut Institute for Resilience and Climate Adaptation (CIRCA) to provide support for activities associated with the development of the Resilient Connecticut project. CIRCA is a multi‐disciplinary center that coordinates applied research and engagement programs to develop and advance practical solutions to problems caused by changing climate.
The Postdoctoral Research Associate (PDRA) will work in a team developing science that supports the resilience framework for Connecticut. The PDRA will gain experience working in a research team environment at CIRCA and have opportunities for professional development. With the supervision of the Assistant Director of Research, the PDRA will work on the development, testing and application of numerical models of circulation in complicated coastal areas to determine levels and patterns of flood risk. Assessment of the effectiveness of proposed risk reduction strategies will also be required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, test and execute simulations of wave and storm surge impacts and flooding in coastal areas.
- Participate in field work/observation campaigns.
- Critically analyze results and prepare reports and publications.
- Prepare journal articles.
- Participate in workshops and meetings for municipalities and regional councils of government on climate resilience and adaptation.
- May participate in the planning, development and implementation of grant proposals.
- Ph.D. in Physical Oceanography, Coastal Engineering, or a closely related field.
- Experience with modern, community models of coastal circulation and wave dynamics (i.e. FVCOM, ROMS, Wavewatch III, ADCIRC).
- Experience with computing technology and high performance computing systems.
- Experience with data analysis and management via programming languages (i.e. Matlab, FORTRAN).
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work effectively with a team of collaborators.
- Ability to travel throughout the State of Connecticut and New England region, and participate in occasional evening and weekend meetings.
- Available to start work at Avery Point, Groton, CT within one month of offer.
- A record of peer reviewed publications.
- Experience with oceanographic field work.
The initial appointment is for one year, with the possibility of renewal. Salary and benefits are competitive and will be commensurate with experience. The successful candidate’s academic appointment would start as soon as possible at the Avery Point campus in Groton, CT.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment at the University of Connecticut is contingent upon the successful candidate’s compliance with the University’s Mandatory Workforce COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. This Policy states that all workforce members are required to have or obtain a Covid-19 vaccination as a term and condition of employment at UConn, unless an exemption or deferral has been approved.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #495222 to upload a cv, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.