Assistant City Engineer
The City of South Bend is searching for an Assistant City Engineer to lead infrastructure and capital improvement projects within the Engineering Office.
South Bend is the economic, educational, media, and cultural hub of a multi-county region spanning the Michigan-Indiana border. It’s the fourth-largest city in Indiana with over 100,000 residents. South Bend’s flourishing collegiate community and burgeoning tech industry have built upon the foundation of the city’s industrial past to create a vibrant present and a promising future. Combined with recent economic growth, strong neighborhoods, an affordable cost of living, exciting recreational opportunities, and thriving arts venues make South Bend a fabulous place to live, work, and play.
The Assistant City Engineer will support the planning, design and construction of public infrastructure and capital projects in South Bend. This position works under the general supervision of the City Engineer and will perform complex engineering work in infrastructure, traffic, and storm-water management. The position will have an opportunity to work directly with City and community leaders to manage and execute a diverse range of projects and be part of the transformative changes occurring in South Bend.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This list represents the types of duties required by the position. Other duties may be assigned as reasonably expected.
- Serve as a project manager for assigned engineering projects.
- Assists in selection of qualified consultants for projects; prepares and issues Requests for Proposals (RFPs); administers consultant contracts.
- Review work of consultants for design of city sewer, water, road, public buildings, and/or traffic signals.
- Design and/or manage other staff in the design of transportation, sewer, water, and/or storm-water facilities.
- Participate in infrastructure master planning and review infrastructure designs for proposed subdivisions within the city and city water and sewer extensions outside the limits of the city.
- Works with other City departments and external agencies to coordinate municipal engineering projects.
- Conduct traffic investigations and studies; including traffic warrants.
- Assist in the preparation of budgets for operational and capital needs; ensures that projects meet established budget goals.
- Prepare a variety of reports, correspondence and special studies.
- Provide information to the general public, respond to and resolve customer inquiries and complaints.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent from an accredited college is required. A minimum of five years of practice in engineering required.
The annual salary for this position is up to $89,730 plus benefits based on qualifications and experience.
How to apply
Visit https://www.southbendin.gov/employment/ to apply.