Assistant Construction Project Manager
The Cambridge Department of Public Works (DPW) is committed to providing high-quality public services, developing, and maintaining a safe and healthy environment, providing excellent customer service, and planning for a sustainable future. Public Works is committed to long-term, comprehensive strategies that develop green assets and reduce dependence on carbon fuels. We are currently seeking an Assistant Construction Project Manager with 3+ years of experience to join our municipal facilities capital improvement team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of DPW’s Owner’s Project Manager (OPM), the Assistant Construction Project Manager duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Inspects contractors’ construction sites to ensure high quality work that complies with City requirements, contract plans and specifications, and industry best practices.
- Reviews shop drawings for compliance with the contract documents,
- Maintains project records for the entire duration of a project.
- Tracks project budgets and schedules. Works proactively with contractors and OPM to address concerns about costs or timelines before major problems emerge.
- Ensures contractors maintain site safety and security
- Reviews contractor payment requisitions and change orders
- Evaluates and resolves claims and disputes with contractors
- Assist with punch-list inspections for occupancy and final completion documentation
- Other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Three (3) years of demonstrated experience directly supervising commercial, industrial, or municipal building construction required. Five (5) years’ experience preferred.
- This experience must include supervising job sites, managing budgets, reviewing pay requests, interpreting contracts and plans, and managing project documentation at all stages.
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in building construction-related discipline preferred.
- Working knowledge of formal project management (including related software).
- Demonstrated customer service experience.
- Ability to effectively work independently, prioritize, multi-task and to meet deadlines.
- Flexible approach to problem solving, while ensuring rigorous compliance with contract requirements and construction best practices.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to professionally represent the City of Cambridge at all times.
- Have a demonstrated understanding of the role that racial inequity plays in our society, particularly in the areas and industries mentioned above.
- The City of Cambridge’s workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
HOURS OF WORK: 37.5 hours/week. Additional hours may include evenings or weekends as needed to supervise construction. 3 year contract position.
RATE: $92,602- $109,880 + excellent benefits.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit both your resume and cover letter via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and cover letter requested by 06/01/22. Position will remain open until filled. We are an AA/EEO Employer.