Research Specialist 1 - Materials Engineering (526636)
7 days left
- Organization Type
Florida International University is classified by Carnegie as a R1: Doctoral Universities - Highest Research Activity and recognized as a Carnegie engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers 196 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as engineering, computer science, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU contributes almost $9 billion each year to the local economy. FIU is Worlds Ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission. FIU has awarded more than 220,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and three centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell, FIU@I-75, and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. FIU’s Medina Aquarius Program houses the Aquarius Reef Base, a unique underwater research facility in the Florida Keys. FIU also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA and more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.
Research Specialist 1 - Materials Engineering (526636)
Oversees the operations of a specialized Materials Engineering research area or laboratory with one or more faculty members within a department. Operates with considerable latitude in unreviewed actions or decisions. May act as a liaison with other departments, divisions, or organizations.
- Develops, designs, and conducts one or more small complex research projects or experiments in line with plan, reviews progress and evaluates results.
- Designs solutions related to addressing issues with concrete infrastructure degradation.
- Performs research for cost-effective improvements for corrosion protection technologies.
- Presents and demonstrates technologies.
- Assists researcher(s) in the development of externally-funded research project. Provides support to researcher(s) to secure $250,000 of external funding per year.
- Annually publishes research results in at least 1 peer-reviewed journal/publication (proceedings) and/or presents research findings annually at the national and/or international levels to enhance the scientific stature of Applied Research Center (ARC).
- Formulates research methods and suggests options for improving quality, identifies potential problems, recommends and implements solutions, and collaborates in the development of new techniques.
- Trains users in equipment operation and laboratory techniques, explains and demonstrates technology and equipment capabilities, operations, limitations, and outcomes.
- Coordinates data collection and screening and verifies the data.
- Conducts analysis of data and interprets and implements research methodology based on outcome of analysis.
- Co-authors publications and may co-present results with Principal Investigator at meetings and/or conferences.
- Oversees day-to-day operation of project, and may supervise and/or mentor exempt and non-exempt research and support personnel.
- Assists in developing and implementing procedures for an area.
- Interprets and implements policies and procedures as they apply to an assigned area.
- May recommend changes on policy and procedures as necessary.
Bachelor's degree in an appropriate specialization and four (4) years of experience or Master's degree and two (2) years of experience.
Extensive experience in concrete degradation due to harsh environments and the corrosion of metals.
- Solid background in analytical chemistry techniques and developing test for the evaluation of concrete and corrosion of metals.
- Background in coatings for the protection of concrete.
- May be required to lift/carry/push/pull up to 50 pounds.
$55,000 - $65,000
Begin time: 8:30 AM
Must walk, run, crouch/crawl, bend or twist.
Criminal Background Check
Ability to travel locally and nationally.
For further information or to apply, please visit careers.fiu.edu and reference Job Opening ID # 526636
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the University Police department at Florida International University provides information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three (3) calendar years. The FIU Annual Security report is available online at: https://police.fiu.edu/download/annual-security-fire-safety-report/.
To obtain a paper copy of the report, please visit the FIU Police Department located at 885 SW 109th Avenue, Miami, FL, 33199 (PG5 Market Station).
Florida International University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.