Engineer V - Section Chief, Transportation Design Division
Section chiefs are responsible for timely and efficient completion of transportation projects assigned to the section. Performs technical work, supervises, and directs technical work of engineers and technicians in development of multiple complex transportation projects, including development of plans, specifications, and estimates in accordance with state and local regulations. Responsible for all aspects of contract administration, including consultant selection, project scoping, contract approval, schedule review and approval, plan review, payment certification, resolution of contract issues, quality control, and project close-out. The section chief provides technical expertise in various phases and stages of project development and mentors staff engineers and technicians. Works closely with the Capital Projects Division, the Transportation Planning Division, and other county and state agencies to ensure projects conform to local, state, and federal design standards, meet established goals for improving transportation mobility and safety, and are completed on time and within budget. Works under general supervision of the division chief.
- Oversees the administration and completion of design for projects assigned to the Section.
- Reviews and approves project schedules, justification for schedule adjustments, scopes of work, contracts, budgets, project documentation, and correspondence to ensure compliance with county policy and procedures, and state and federal regulations.
- Ensures efficient assignment of projects within the section and coordinates timely processing of communications and information to stakeholders.
- Ensures timely and accurate processing of contract actions from initial scope and contract development through project closeout, in accordance with County and Department policies and procedures.
- Leads and/or attends project progress meetings, design review meetings, public information meetings, and others as necessary during all stages of project development, including during construction, to identify and resolve design and construction issues.
- Monitors adherence to contract and procedural requirements from initial scope and contract development through completion of construction, final acceptance, and project close-out.
- Actively participates as a member of the department’s senior leadership group and assists in the development of policy and procedural guidance for division and department operations.
- Develops and maintains goals and objectives for section engineers and technicians. Evaluates performance and reports results to the division chief.
- Develops and monitors section workload and maintains project tracking database to ensure projects are completed on schedule and within budget.
- Provides periodic project status updates to elected officials, local, state, and federal agencies and departments and stakeholders.
- Reviews and monitors state and federal regulations, design guidelines, and contract requirements related to transportation projects and recommends changes to county policy and procedures to ensure compliance.
- Performs technical transportation design work requiring a high degree of competence in both technical and administrative aspects and oversees and reviews technical work of professional engineering and planning staff engaged in capital project development.
- Develops and reviews engineering designs for small to large often complex multi-modal transportation projects ranging from feasibility studies, environmental documentation, and compliance to completion of final construction documents.
- Manages and reviews engineering designs, reports and analyses prepared by consultants.
- Assists in providing progress reports on the Board’s Transportation Priorities Plan (TPP) and provides updates to the division chief, department director, elected officials, the public, and others as necessary.
- Prepares and monitors budgets for assigned projects and/or programs, advises division chief of status, and coordinates budget requirements with various other county departments. Prepares and provides periodic updates of cash flow requirements for projects and programs assigned to the Section.
- Responsible for personnel actions within the section, including hiring, coaching, mentoring, training, and performance evaluations of assigned staff.
- Assumes the duties of the division chief when so designated.
Graduation from a four-year college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technologies with a bachelor's degree in the appropriate engineering or architecture field; plus five years of progressively responsible professional experience in the appropriate engineering or architectural field.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
A valid driver's license.
Possession of a valid Virginia Professional Engineer or Architect license. An individual who possesses a valid Professional Engineer or Architect license in another state will be granted a temporary exemption to this requirement pending the Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, Certified Interior Designers & Landscape Architects decision regarding that individual's application for reciprocity. As a professional engineer or registered architect, signs and seals own work product and/or that of subordinate staff.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.
- Ten years or more of progressively responsible experience in the design, review, approval, and management of complex multi-modal transportation improvement projects with at least five (5) years of supervisory or management experience.
- Extensive experience and knowledge of Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) design standards, guidelines, policies, and procedures, including the Locally Administered Projects (LAP) Manual and the Enhancement Program Procedure Manual.
- Significant experience and proficiency with computer applications, including MS Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint), MS Project, GIS, AutoCADD, and/or MicroStation.
- Possession of one or more additional certifications, such a Project Management Professional (PMP), Certified Construction Manager (CCM), etc. and/or completion of specialized certifications or training such as Designated Plans Examiner (DPE), DEQ Certified Erosion & Sediment Control Plan Reviewer, DEQ Certified Stormwater Management Plan Reviewer, VDOT Advanced Work Zone Traffic Control; VDOT Locally Administered Project (LAP) Qualification/Certification Course, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Job is generally sedentary in nature, however, employee must be able to walk, negotiate, or traverse property sites with uneven terrain or are under construction. Employee must have visual acuity to read data on a computer monitor and review detailed drawings, plans, and documents. Employee may be required to lift up to 25 pounds.
Panel interview; may include practical exercise.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.