Visiting Instructors - Paulson College of Engineering & Computing
Visiting Instructors - Search # 12147 (two positions)
Paulson College of Engineering & Computing / Department of Civil Engineering & Construction
The Department of Civil Engineering and Construction in the Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Computing at Georgia Southern University has two openings for visiting instructors of civil engineering and construction for the academic year 2022-2023.
Founded in 1906, Georgia Southern University is a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution with a focus on public-impact research, serving about 27,000 students on three beautiful campuses in Statesboro, Savannah, and Hinesville, and via a growing online program. Through our degree offerings at the associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern offers a distinctive combination of community collaboration, world-class scholarship, innovative teaching, and hands-on learning opportunities.
To equitably serve a fast growing and highly diverse student body and to fulfill the University’s commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion, we actively seek candidates with a demonstrated commitment to Inclusive Excellence. Candidates whose work furthers the institution’s goals and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
Within this setting, the CEC Department offers Bachelor of Science degrees in Civil Engineering (BSCE), Construction Engineering (BSConE), and Construction (BSCons). The BSCE program is accredited by ABET and the BSCons program is accredited by ACCE; the BSConE program completed an initial ABET accreditation evaluation in 2021, awaiting final approval from ABET. The Department also offers a M.S. degree program in Civil Engineering. Delivery of the curriculum for each program emphasizes hands-on and experiential learning where students develop practical skills valued by employers. State-of-the art equipment, instruments and advanced software are employed in both classroom and laboratory/ field settings to prepare students to be productive technical professionals upon graduation.
Position Description: Reporting to the department chair, the visiting instructor of Civil Engineering and Construction will teach 15 credit hours per semester and hold regular office hours. The desired areas of specialization for the position include Building Information Modeling (BIM), Engineering and Construction Graphics (Autodesk Software, Revit, etc.), Introduction to Construction Management, Cost Control and Construction Finance, and Civil Engineering Computations. This is a 2022-2023 academic year appointment for the months of August 2022-May 2023. All visiting positions are non-tenure track appointments, with the possibility of reappointment based on funding availability and satisfactory performance for up to two years. The second year is a terminal year, without exception. The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• Earned Master’s degree in Construction Management, Construction Engineering, Civil Engineering,
or a closely related field, by August 1, 2022, with at least 18 graduate semester credit hours in the areas mentioned above
• The technical ability to teach BIM, Engineering and Construction Graphics, Introduction to
Construction Management, Cost Control and Construction Finance, and Civil Engineering Computation
• Willingness to engage with institutional student success initiatives
• Commitment to engaging with best practice initiatives in instruction and pedagogy, mentoring, and
curriculum design and development
• Earned terminal degree in Construction Management, Construction Engineering, Civil Engineering, or a closely related field by August 1, 2022
• Experience with online instruction at the university level
• Relevant industry/professional experience (3 years or more)
• Previous teaching experience at a higher education institution
• Relevant licensures (PE, CPM, LEED or similar)
• Experience with ACCE and/or ABET accreditation and program development
Conditions of Employment:
• Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution.
• All work (with limited exceptions such as research and study abroad and outside activities such as grading and email correspondence) for Georgia Southern University must be completed while the employee is physically present in the state of Georgia, unless specifically authorized by the University for a specific purpose and limited period of time within current policy.
• Faculty are expected to contribute to the vibrant university community by engaging students, participating in events, and performing other responsibilities on-campus.
• Faculty may be required to teach, conduct research, or perform service duties on any of the three campuses. Georgia Southern provides accessible transportation options between campuses.
Screening of applications begins June 6, 2022 and continues until the position is filled. The preferred position starting date is August 1, 2022. A complete application consists of a letter addressing the qualifications cited above; a curriculum vitae; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references. Other documentation may be requested. Only complete applications submitted electronically will be considered. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
M. Myung Jeong, Search Chair, Search #12147
Georgia Southern University
More information about the institution is available through http://www.georgiasouthern.edu or https://cec.georgiasouthern.edu/cengc/. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-
evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources at 912-478-6947.